PDA

View Full Version : Ice Field

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Anette's posts reminded me that I haven't processed or posted any of my landscape shots from Svalbard. This was a grab shot from our boat as we sped by enroute to our next location. I just liked all the blues and whites. I went for the 1/3 sea, 1/3 ice field and 1/3 sky comp to keep it simple.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 200mm
1/1000
f9
ISO 400
HH from fast moving boat, 2 stop GND, luminosity mask, levels, curves, LCE, Hougaard Malan action and sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
10-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Was already waiting that one Landscape is posted from you. Very nice, looks great.
I would give the ice a bit more 'ummpf', the top ice, not the break/wall. Than I have found some dots on the ice, not dust... did you zoom in to those??
There are 4 dots a bit LHS, all just parallel to each other, also to the RHS. Maybe aliens :Whoa!: :eek3:

Those glaciers where so impressive, Swissyland can pack theirs up in the bag compared to those up there. Loved every second being up in the north.

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Diane Miller
10-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Wonderful shot! I like the crop. Wondering if you might experiment with the water being a little lighter -- maybe Nik Detail Extractor. But I'm on an iPhone so not seeing with the best accuracy.

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks Anette and Diane. Anette - no zooming in while zooming by so I'm not sure what the dots are. Diane, happy to have you do a rp with your thoughts if you want.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Diane Miller
10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
We're on the road and without the laptop tonight -- we're traveling by small plane and some of the small airports have motels in walking distance (as tonight) so I don't haul the laptop. If I have it tomorrow I'll try to do a quick RP, but the laptop isn't an ideal platform. But better than tonight when I just have the iPhone.

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks Diane, no rush. Whenever it is convenient.

Rachel

Don Railton
10-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Rachel

I like this a lot, it feels cold and desolate, and quite beautiful. I might consider a crop a little from the top (down to the light patch in the sky center) and maybe a little from the bottom to draw more attention to the ice and give more of a pano look to enhance the wide expanse. You would still have that lick of cloud working for you..

DON

PS I see 4 set of Anettes 'Aliens' on the ice... wonder what they are?

Hazel Grant
10-24-2013, 08:58 PM
i'm a bit jealous. You got that ice so sharp from a moving boat! I had a very hard time on an Alaska cruise getting good light at our ice. This minimalist look reminds me of Cheryl's bay of Fundy shots. Hers transitioned from one texture or color to another. This one has 3 distinct areas with the sharpest in the middle. Both work well.

Rachel Hollander
10-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks Don and Hazel, much appreciated. No idea what the "aliens" are.

Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
10-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Don, glad that I am not the only one seeing Alien's :5 :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
10-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Austfonna I assume Rachel, an impressive location, hope you got some shots closer, hard to imaging the highest point is almost 800m above sea level.

Like the overall colours, although the sea looks a little too sharp, IMHO? Sadly with the movement of the ship I think it would be impossible to do, but would have been interesting to see the 'Big Stopper' in action on this.:bg3:

PS I see 4 set of Anettes 'Aliens' on the ice... wonder what they are?

Lost me here Don/Anette :Whoa!:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi Steve - thanks but not Austfonna. An icefield on the western side of the archipelago. We didn't get around to Austfonna. Easy enough to back off on sharpening of the sea.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Roger Clark
10-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi Rachel,

I agree with Don, a little off the top as it is featureless gray. That would turn it into more of a panorama. My eyes wander the length and I want to see more on each side, making a longer panorama. Do you have other frames you could stitch together to make a wider pano?

Roger

Rachel Hollander
10-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks Roger, I'd have to look but think the boat was moving too fast to effectively be able to stitch.

Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
10-26-2013, 07:59 PM
H Rachel. I like the comp as is but do think Anette's suggestion for a bit more punch on the ice might be worth a try to see what it looks like. This comp for me makes this area look quite vast and desolate....and cold (going down to -6 Celsius up here tomorrow night...yikes) I see one little dust bunny pretty much dead center in the frame.

Don Railton
10-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Steve.. arrows indicating 'Aliens'... Might be a couple of others also. Can't see the mother ship tho':tinysmile_shy_t:

Diane Miller
10-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Found a minute to play with a tweak, although I'm on my laptop and may not be seeing things at their best. I lightened the water (just moved in the right end of a curve -- moral equivalent of doing the same in Levels) then added a gradient mask to the adjustment layer that left the FG as it was, so there is a gradient leading back to the ice instead of "flat" water. Also darkened the area above the ice wall slightly, by pulling in both ends of a curve slightly.

Rachel Hollander
10-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks Andrew and Diane. Diane - I like what you did. Thanks for taking the time.

Rachel

Diane Miller
10-27-2013, 07:33 PM
You're welcome -- it's a great image to play with!

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Late here Rachel, love the simplistic use of layer and colour here. Many comments above resonate with me - specifically taking some off the top and wishing for a "longer" pano...
I like Diane's RP too. I'm sure you have many more arctic scapes up your sleeve so I'll get some popcorn :5

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks Morkel, I'll have to get to work on some of the landscapes though generally I can't say that overall I'm thrilled with them as much as my wildlife shots from the trip. :wave: