PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker...

Frank McNamara
10-23-2013, 01:37 PM
...at Jamaica Bay on Monday afternoon in Big John's bone dry pond. 1DIII - 400L 5.6 - F6 - 1/200 - iso800.

Lyle Gruby
10-23-2013, 04:44 PM
I love northern flickers. I can't wait until they get here in Memphis. The bird is very pretty, but the details on the bird look very smooth like there's been too much NR or not enough sharpening. The highlights on the perch are a little too bright-- you could try to pull in your highlights slider and that would probably fix that problem. The BG is pretty busy. A lower shooting angle would definitely have helped with that. TFS

Sandy Witvoet
10-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Great Flicker shot! Really like how he is kind of "looking for lunch" down below... agree that the highlights on the birch are pretty bright. Busy bkgd doesn't bother me... but the horizontal branch that intersects the middle of the bird looks a bit odd. Colors on the bird look excellent.

Daniel Cadieux
10-23-2013, 06:18 PM
A tough to get subject, at least in my experience. Nice perch, which I agree is quite bright though...toning it down would work wonders. I agree the BG is a bit distracting, but it looks like you were already close to the ground for this...more distance between the subject and BG would have been better, but in a species like this you can't always choose where it lands!