PDA

View Full Version : Swallow-tailed Kites - Opinions Please

Marina Scarr
10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
The Swallow-tailed Kites generally mate several times a day during mating season, and even continue to do so sporadically right up until their young fledge. After mating, the male generally brings the female food by handing it off to her on the fly. Here the female has bent over in her submissive position thinking the male is going to land on her to mate again. However, her mate is actually bringing her a tidbit. I was wondering whether you feel this image/perspective works?

Thank you in advance for your comments/critiques/opinions.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500 & 2x TC @ 1000mm
F9, 1/800sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

Richard Unsworth
10-22-2013, 02:37 PM
I think this is exceptional, the chance of getting this must be millions to one!
Might try sharpening the females head a little more
great stuff indeed

gail bisson
10-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi Marina,
I will "boldly go where no one else has gone" :S3: ( over 50 views and only 1 critique) and say I am not loving this one.
I find the OOF bird distracting and he overwhelms the female. It is difficult to figure out if he is facing us or flying away from us. Without your story explaining what is happening the image would be difficult to interpret.
Just my 2C worth and hope I don't sound too harsh,
Gail

Loi Nguyen
10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Hi Marina, very interesting behavior shot. I have not seen these kites before (only the white tailed kites), but the behavior is very much the same. I hope you do have images of the food exchange in mid air if these kites do it. Regarding the image, I'm with Gail on this one. The OOF bird is a bit distracting for me too. Sorry. Loi

Sidharth Kodikal
10-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Hi Marina,
After reading your text and looking at the image for a while, I must say that it grew on me.
Without your accompanying text, I'm afraid I wouldn't have gathered the story. I suppose those familiar with the behavior would appreciate it more readily.
Exposure and sharpness look great. You use the 2X very effectively.

christopher galeski
10-23-2013, 12:54 AM
I understand your image after reading your text,but I have to agree with Gail,sorry.

shane shacaluga
10-23-2013, 03:26 AM
I agree with the above comments. Its great for learning behaviour but as an overall shot it doesn't really do it for me

Any idea what the tidbit was? Worm? Small snake?

Karl Egressy
10-23-2013, 07:53 AM
The love your work Marina, the story is great here but I'm afraid that this image is not working for me. I hope you don't mind my honesty.

Marina Scarr
10-23-2013, 12:37 PM
First of all, thank you for all of the comments/critiques. Please do not ever feel that my feelings will be hurt by some or all folks not liking one of my images. I don't take comments/critiques about my images personally. I would not have asked for opinions if I didn't want to hear how you all really felt.

I think I like this image more than most b/c I photographed this pair for 2 months and know the story/history/behavior around the image. I find this to be an interesting image in terms of photojournalism. For me, it's a window (literally and figuratively) into their behavior.

Sandy Witvoet
10-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Marina... Is the OOF bird between you and the female? (so it looks really big?) Might have been cool if it was smaller and flying off to the ULC (just because the viewer wouldn't know the story.) It's wonderful you have been able to document the behaviors!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I happen to like the image and not because we are friends:S3:.It is different and tells a story. Makes the viewer study it to figure out what is going on and I find that interesting. Is it one of my favorites of yours? NO. But I wouldn't trash it because it stands out from the norm but then again I am far from normal myself LOL.