PDA

View Full Version : Rutting Yellowstone Bull Elk

D. Robert Franz
10-22-2013, 10:33 AM

From one of my private Yellowstone tours just before the shutdown a few weeks back.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Copyright: D. Robert & Lorri Franz
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +2/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 1600
Focal length: 800mm

Anette Mossbacher
10-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi Robert,

very nice image of this proud elk. Nice to see the virtual legs!! I forget them most of the time :tinysmile_shy_t:
The back looks a bit bright to me, might would turn that down on both side on the back.
The green spot/bush on the RHS and BG, turn off the "light" of the green light bulb a bit. I would reduce the saturation in this green bush till it matches the other green bushes around or even more.
I can imagine that let the elk jump out a bit more in the image. Comp wise it is fine for me. But lets see what the others have to add.
Oh, the tops of the antlers, maybe a tad to bright too! Not sure!

Have a great day/eve

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi Dale, great to see you back posting again, hope this isn't a one off, as your images are a nice departure and there are a lot of new members & old who can learn a lot.

Lovely posture with the Elk I guess just about to bellow. Great detail in that impressive rack, looks in prime condition. The dark, minky browns of the coat work well against the vivid yellow grass. Perfect DOF!

TFS
Steve

Loi Nguyen
10-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Excellent image of this bull elk at Yellowstone. Great details of the eye, nostrils, chest while the highlights were well controlled. The stand of the elk is great. He looks like a real fighter here. The water added interest to the habitat. Well done. Loi

Steve Canuel
10-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Really like the full body, head on shots of these guys. Great antlers on this one too, nice width and vertical curve. The raised leg is a nice touch and I also like the overall color of the image.

Rachel Hollander
10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi Dale - I hope you weren't affected too badly by the shutdown. I echo Steve's sentiments that it is nice to see you posting and commenting and I hope you'll be around more frequently. Great head on view of the bull and I hope he wasn't considering headbutting your 800mm. Excellent techs as usual.

TFS,
Rachel

edwardselfe
10-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Lovely image - could have had his head up in a regal stance but this is somehow more interesting. I like it. I agree about the bright green patch on the RHS.
Ed

Morkel Erasmus
10-23-2013, 04:43 PM
GREAT to have you back posting, Dale... :5
I like the head-on view and soft light here - impressive rack indeed.
Does it need to have the yellows overall backed down just a touch?