PDA

View Full Version : New 1Dx Firmware Version 2.0 Coming

Doug Brown
10-22-2013, 07:07 AM
There's a big firmware upgrade coming for Canon's 1Dx in January!
1. Exposure compensation in manual mode with auto ISO. I actually called CPS about the lack of this feature because I thought I was doing something wrong. Currently with the 1Dx, there is no way to alter the camera's exposure when shooting in manual mode with auto ISO; you get the exposure that the camera chooses for you. As a result, you actually have less control over your exposure than you do in Av or Tv mode.

2. Same exposure for new aperture in manual mode. This is useful when shooting a variable aperture zoom lens (the 70-300L for example) wide open and then increasing your focal length; the result is a smaller maximum aperture, and this will result in underexposure in manual mode. Now you can have the camera automatically adjust either ISO or SS to preserve your exposure. This feature will also come in handy for photographers using the 200-400 wide open who then move the 1.4x into place.

3. Improved acceleration/deceleration tracking parameters that accommodate larger differences in speed.

4. Improved AI Servo AF in low light conditions. This is done by increasing the amount of time that light is sampled before setting focus.

5. Toggling between alternate camera settings. Using the shutter button, the AE Lock button, or the AF ON button you will be able to toggle between a variety of camera settings. With each button you can choose a focus point (the currently selected point or a pre-registered point), AI Servo AF configuration set (cases 1-6), one-shot AF or AI Servo AF, and drive mode (currently selected mode or 14 fps mode).

There are a number of other feature enhancements coming with the firmware. Full details can be found here (http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/eos_1dx_firmware).

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Cheers Doug, thanks for the 'Heads up'. :cheers:

Blake Cook
11-13-2013, 09:37 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Doug,

#5 - I currently use the M-fn set to C which toggles among the three Custom settings for different shooting settings. Is #5 different?

Doug Brown
11-18-2013, 11:12 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Doug,

#5 - I currently use the M-fn set to C which toggles among the three Custom settings for different shooting settings. Is #5 different?

I believe that it is different Blake. The new version lets you select different AF cases (1-6) for each custom setting, while the old version does not. There may be other differences as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

Anthony G
12-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Will the update get rid of the purple and magenta issues with the 1DX?

arash_hazeghi
12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Will the update get rid of the purple and magenta issues with the 1DX?

What magenta issue?

Anthony G
12-03-2013, 05:06 PM
What magenta issue?

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7456096105/photos/2757178/

Evan after extensive PP with PS and LR under "over the water" lighting conditions ALL my 1DX shots are like this. As are my beach shots too.

Using a 7D with the same lenses I get none of the heavy Purple and Magenta.

I've tried filters from ND's, CPL's and B&W 10's
I've tried to get rid of this in PP in PS and LR and the Purples and Magentas are so heavy at times that turning down LUM or SATURATION to a point just makes all the patches GREY.
I've tried 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8 USIM IS II and 24-70mm 2.8 on the 1DX with and without filters and still the same
I've reset the 1DX before and after all this too.
At the same location, using the same lenses and filters on the 7D I get none of the Purple or Magenta.

Blake Cook
12-03-2013, 07:35 PM
What magenta issue?

Looks like a troll from a D4 owner who thinks everything without a green cast looks magenta :)
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0"><embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Anthony G
12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Well I for one have about 3000 - 3500 shots from a shoot in Aruba that show a lot of Purple and Magenta from my 1DX as clear Tones and Hues that do not show up in the other body (7D) that I was also shooting with, using the same lenses and filters.

Taking into consideration all the quality B&W ND's, CPL's and even a Haze 10 vs. a Haze 07 and most times NONE, there is clear notice here that it is not the lenses, not the filters, nor the 7D. My 1DX has clear Magenta and Purple hue and fringe issues with back lit objects and with objects over water and reflected light from water. I'll post this example but for some reason I don't know if this forum allows for it. I hope you can see that even after extensive PP with LR and PS... This is best you can get and I'm SICK!!! MY copy of the 1DX does this... I can't speak for others but mine does. http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7456096105/photos/2757178/andreas-aruba-kitesurfing-in-front-of-armondo-s

arash_hazeghi
12-04-2013, 05:27 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7456096105/photos/2757178/

Evan after extensive PP with PS and LR under "over the water" lighting conditions ALL my 1DX shots are like this. As are my beach shots too.

Using a 7D with the same lenses I get none of the heavy Purple and Magenta.

I've tried filters from ND's, CPL's and B&W 10's
I've tried to get rid of this in PP in PS and LR and the Purples and Magentas are so heavy at times that turning down LUM or SATURATION to a point just makes all the patches GREY.
I've tried 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8 USIM IS II and 24-70mm 2.8 on the 1DX with and without filters and still the same
I've reset the 1DX before and after all this too.
At the same location, using the same lenses and filters on the 7D I get none of the Purple or Magenta.

your image does not show a cast to my eye.

Nevertheless, What you mention is not a camera problem, it's a processing artifact. You might be using an obsolete version of ACR. Make sure you have the latest version. In general ACR rendering of CR2 files is poor, especially for 1DX if you use default profile because it cannot decode the camera's white balance correctly. you need to use calibrated profiles or use native RAW convertor such as DPP.

I don't have a color issue with 1DX, I personally use DPP. there are many folks who use Adobe with no issues.

Blake Cook
01-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Firmware 2.0.3 is here!!