PDA

View Full Version : Female non-pollinating fig wasp

Jason Stander
10-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Hi all... hope all is well?

This is a female non-pollinating fig wasp (Apocrypta guineensis) ovipositing into a fig.

This was one of the most rewarding macro experiences of my macro photography career. To witness this very tiny 2-3mm wasp to dance like that on a fig was very special.

It was not the most easiest critter to photograph... the figs are on a branch with no foliage around it in order to give a lovely bg... had live with a black bg. You have to be extremely patient to allow the wasp to land on the fig... settle... the she makes a few attempts to bend and then she does it... and to get them in focus a a very small dof... was almost near impossible. Well this is the best I could do.

Crits and comments welcome... ENJOY!

Canon 5D Mk III
Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8
Canon MT-24EX macro Twin lite (diffused)

Aperture: f13
Shutter Speed: 1/80s
ISO: 160

Mitch Haimov
10-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Wow, Jason, that is an impressive critter! You did very well with the limited DOF. Black BGs on these high-magnification shots are not always great, but I think it works very well here with this very colorful, metallic wasp. Comp is strong too, though I'd be inclined to crop just a little from the right. Effective use of flash; looks quite natural. Your explanation of the natural history of the moment adds interest, as well. I'd love to see a 100% crop of the head and those very cool antennae, if you're so inclined.

shane shacaluga
10-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Very nice image! The coloration on this was is just amazing. Black BG works well with this shot

TFS

LinzRiverBalmer
10-22-2013, 05:12 AM
wow I can't even begin to imagine your patience.

Most interesting and gorgeous creature.

I would burn down the fig just a bit so the green is not overpowering the greens of the wasp, maybe even crop a bit off the left and bottom to minimize the green.

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2013, 05:22 AM
A really eye catching image, very unusual, I enjoyed the narrative.
Exposure and colours look very good ideally the wing edge would have been sharp but no big deal for me.

Carl Walker
10-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Jason you have done aan excellent job here. The detail that you have is excellent. The antennae really stand out for me. I also think it works well against this bg

Jason Stander
10-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Thank you for views and comments... so appreciated!:w3

Steve Maxson
10-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi Jason. Congratulations! - these tiny subjects are very difficult to photograph under less than ideal circumstances. The wasp is beautiful and stands out very nicely against the black background. You captured an interesting behavior and made the most of your very small DOF. The light is well diffused and I like the comp. Very well done!