PDA

View Full Version : Garden Ladybug II.

Daniel Cadieux
10-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Another from the many that have taken advantage of easy food from the apples fallen underneath out backyard trees. I placed this one on a better looking "perch" and more colourful surroundings.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/8, ISO 800, flash @ -2 FEC, handheld, small crop for comp, and some of the flashed highlights toned down.

Diane Miller
10-21-2013, 08:50 PM
That looks like a fat and happy ladybug. Very nice setting! At the needed magnification they are impossible to get all in focus. You got what you needed here.

Mitch Haimov
10-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Well done, Daniel. You did a good job of getting all the important bits of this little beetle within the limited DOF available. Off-center comp works well; I'd be inclined to put the lady a little higher in the frame. I would also experiment with blurring the strong horizontal line cutting through the center of the frame.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-22-2013, 05:09 AM
I love this one Daniel, the strong leaf lines really make it for me and show her true size.

I'm going to have to google your equipment, I'm just fascinated at the detail you all are able to get on such a tiny subject.

Tiny thing to pick on this one, is the upper yellow in the BG might be a little harsh.

Jason Stander
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi Daniel... Beautiful image.... Good detail and exposure... Maybe a low angle would have worked... Even a tighter crop too... Otherwise VWD!

Steve Maxson
10-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi Daniel. Nice comp and good sharpness within your DOF. You don't mention whether you used a diffuser on your flash - that would help to tone down the flash-generated highlights on these shiny-bodied insects. I might suggest lightening the shaded area underneath the beetle just a little - otherwise this is very well done!

Gabriela Plesea
11-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Hello Daniel,

What a beautiful capture, great detail and colours on the Ladybug-I agree with Jason above, I would not mind a tighter crop:w3

Warmest regards,