PDA

View Full Version : Riding Bareback

Morkel Erasmus
10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
I've posted this elsewhere already, so might as well post it here too...:e3

We were privileged to pull into a cheetah sighting last week in the Mara Triangle just as the hunt was about to begin. Little did I know that the final takedown would happen 30 meters in front of us...needless to say that with a 500mm fixed lens this was challenging.

I know - "get a 200-400", but the 200-400 isn't suited to 99% of my personal safaris (based on location and distance of sightings). It's also not suited to my budget to own 2 super telephotos. Besides, the chase here could have easily veered away from us and then a 200-400 or even the 500 with 1.4x may have not been enough reach. You win some, you lose some. I did have the D800+70-200 within reach but the framerate of the D800 is not conducive to capturing these fleeting seconds of drama properly IMHO.

Anyway...what do you think of this frame?
I'd rather clip the antelope's horn than the cheetah's tail.
Cropped in a little tighter from left and bottom for framing, still 90% of original image.
I'll probably reconstruct the horn and add some canvas to submit this to my image agency (though I almost never do that to an image), just because of the drama captured here.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f8.0 | 1/3200 SS | ISO-900 - See more at: http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=237459#sthash.DHmdgMoR.dpuf

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Morkel - I admit, I saw this elsewhere and was waiting for you to post it here. Clipped horn aside (and I agree with you re: tail vs. horn), this is just outstanding. It has all the drama of the kill, the visible claws, the clamped jaw, two excellent HAs, the tongue out and the action is parallel to the camera. Excellent techs and IQ. Congrats!

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Sensational shot in everyday. I dont mind the horn and agree I am happy to see the tail 'in'. Amazing action, superb IQ. TFS.

Jamie Douglas
10-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Buddy this impresses me every time I see it and who cares about the clipped horn... well maybe the camera club types, but hey nature photography is about the moment and well be cant always orchestrate nature to stop perfectly in our viewfinders. I am sure we can all testify to that. Here here.

So getting Africa fever from participating in this forum and getting more into David Lloyds work.

I love the Cheetahs hind paws. Not that often you get to see the hind feet with their claws out like that. Crop works well and balances the image.

Morkel Erasmus
10-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone!! I agree, it's still a special shot for me, though the clipped horn will make it hard for it to really be considered by judges of big contests :e3

Buddy this impresses me every time I see it and who cares about the clipped horn... well maybe the camera club types, but hey nature photography is about the moment and well be cant always orchestrate nature to stop perfectly in our viewfinders. I am sure we can all testify to that. Here here.

So getting Africa fever from participating in this forum and getting more into David Lloyds work.

I love the Cheetahs hind paws. Not that often you get to see the hind feet with their claws out like that. Crop works well and balances the image.

Jamie - did you know that a cheetah's claws are like a dog's: non-retractable?? :Whoa!:

Jamie Douglas
10-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone!! I agree, it's still a special shot for me, though the clipped horn will make it hard for it to really be considered by judges of big contests :e3

Jamie - did you know that a cheetah's claws are like a dog's: non-retractable?? :Whoa!:

No I didn't but now I can see that from your photo. Very dog like feet. I was just watching Ghostbusters the other night and the rear claws remind me of the gargoyles that come to life in the movie. :e3. Do you know if they are non-retractable because of the Cheetah having such speed? Time for Google I think.

Steve Canuel
10-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Nice job of freezing the drama (so crisp!) while still capturing the essence of the action (flying dirt). Interesting info on the claws. Well done.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Ok don't hate me, but I have a strange idea for that horn.

I will be honest I have no idea how to critique these kill shots, and while I don't mind them (being nature and all), I just don't know how to look at them and critique and see a beautiful moment. Dramatic, Wowing, Thought Provoking, Educational. Just not something I would say make a coffee table book out of, unless it was one of those flip books to see the whole encounter.

Am I making sense.... The whole encounter to me is more meaningful than one shot.

So this is the first one I will try to help on.

I think the photograph as a photograph is terrific, technical perfection, I fully appreciate it.

Here is my strange suggestion and I don't even know if it's possible, but could be with RAW.

I think the whole shot would benefit from this not just the horn.

Can you leave the background as is so it's the same size, IQ, Comp etc.... But take the subjects both together and rotate them counter clockwise until the horn is fully in the frame.... putting the cats but and tail more into the corner.

I think this might elevate this image give it a bit of a diagonal, would to me put the cat in a better position including the tail.

Am I crazy??? Probably

Andre Pretorius
10-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Morkel, a stunning image with a moment not to captured again. The techs are spot on. I have had this on many occasions- the moment is perfect but... My heart bleeds for that peace of horn- it would make this THE money-shot....

LinzRiverBalmer
10-22-2013, 03:48 AM
oops and I'm a tired dork.... I didn't finish, obviously in my brain I know that shifting the critters won't make the rest of the horn magically appear but easier to recreate it without adding canvas, as I still think the cat will gain position with a bit more diagonal.

Loi Nguyen
10-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Morkel, this is a great capture with good light, details, dramma. I can see the issue with the clipped horn and I think it is worth trying to add canvas and reconstruct the horn (not that I know how, but I'm sure someone with your skills could do it). It is a great capture nevertheless. Loi

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi Morkel, you already know my thoughts, but the clipped horn is a real bug bear for me, as the action is spot on, and this is a great image. Superb timing, perfect spot, doesn't get any better, however I can fully appreciate working with a fixed 500 the limitations can be a real pain/frustrating, what you need is a 200-400 lens with integrated 1.4, this would have been ideal. :w3 Good call to up the ISO to gain greater SS to nail the action. :cheers:

Nice work. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

PS Think the two watermarks are conflicting. :w3

D. Robert Franz
10-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Just magnificent!

Anette Mossbacher
10-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Morkel,

have briefly read the comments, and there goes the Fiat 500 again with 180 horse power. Had one in my hand, nice thing!

Clipped horn I have to say as well. But the rest is great to me. try to add the clipped horn :tinysmile_shy_t:
I did not see it elsewhere yet! Way to busy for all sorts of social media right now.

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

edwardselfe
10-23-2013, 07:08 AM
Stunning timing and image. This is a winner, with or without the horn! I wonder if there's a slight green cast? And perhaps a slight lift of highlights to convey the sunlight of the plains....
Ed

Matthew Studebaker
10-24-2013, 10:35 AM
now THERE's an ACTION shot!! wow. what a moment.

Danny Laredo
10-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Fantastic drama and action. an image to kill for :)

Cindy Wheeler
11-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Wow. Just wow, Morkel.

I've been lucky to see several cheetah chases/kills the last two years in the Mara but they were never even close to being within a 500mm's reach. Although I'm very happy that all of the guides stay far away to give the animals every opportunity, I would be much happier if the chases came towards us instead of parallel or away. :) Lucky you!

Too bad about the horn but as is, the image is spectacular and adding canvas and the horn will take it over the top.