PDA

View Full Version : Eager to Learn Spotlight Image for week ending Sept. 13th, 2013: P.A. Fortin - Another semipalmated

Daniel Cadieux
10-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Congratulations P-A!!

... Not because I'm developing a passion for this specific bird, but mostly because it is the only specie I can find these days while shorebird-hunting. I'm not yet familiar with migration of shorebirds. Maybe it's normal that I only encounter this specie here at this time of the year at the place I'm visiting... I'm actually waking up at 05h00 once a week to go shoot for ~1h30 before work. Girlfriend says I'm crazy. I don't have much arguments to prove her wrong so far :S3:

I don't know how you guys will appreciate the head angle. I know it is far from the "rule" that states that "head-should-be-parallel-to-sensor-yet-slightly-angled-toward-viewer". Yet I definitely don't see it as a reason why this image should suffer the wrath of my delete button.

Canon 7D, 400mm @ f/7.1, ISO 640, 1/1250, no flash (dead batteries :e3). Cloned out a black rock in the background, removed an extra catchlight in the eye. NR on background, Nik Detail Extractor on the bird. Toned down a few highlights and... well that's pretty much it.

By the way, I did notice a good bunch of people from "Avian" popping out once in a while to comment here. It is highly appreciated to get comments and different views from as many folks as possible, and I believe this is no stranger to the activity boost in ETL lately. Keep visiting!

Diane Miller
10-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Congratulations P-A -- this is a striking image!

Thinus Schoeman
10-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Well done, excellent image. Great clarity, sharpness and exposure!