PDA

View Full Version : Little Owl at home

Richard Unsworth
10-21-2013, 07:19 AM
:S3:

I often see this cutie as I walk around. She lives in this old Cork Oak but will seldom stay visible, darting back into the safety of the tree trunk when she spots a human.
Today I was able to create this image. Not close and therfore only 40% of original vertical I think she is lovely.

Canon 7D 100-400 F7.1 ISO 800 1/640 Hand held, Manual Exposure
Processed in CC and Topaz

Richard Unsworth
10-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the critique Peter, appreciate your input.
This was always going to be a difficult shot and I guess there is some little motion blur.
SS was quite low and she was a fair way away! Heres a repost from a slightly different angle where the ss was better at 1/1000.
Perhaps also too much of a crop. Some noise, but essentially I like to see enviro shots, and to show where these creatures live.
Nature provides some great cammo!

Marina Scarr
10-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Agree the owl definitely needs some sharpening. The RP is sharper but I like the OP better in terms of comp but would take some off of the bottom and a little off of the top.

Richard Unsworth
10-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Hi Marina

Cropped as suggested, sharpened the owl too, selectively

Looked for the critter today but she wasnt in!

Steve Kaluski
10-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Hi Richard, once you gain their approval as you know, they are real characters to sit, watch and photograph, just sometimes it can take a bit of time. Can I ask, how do you know this one is female?

I do feel with such a large crop the IQ is steadily being eroded, however getting close to these can be difficult, have you thought of using a blind to enable getting closer shots? For me, the image in pane 3 is the best, with more environment, also the detail looks better, perhaps a sq crop? If you applied NR I would ease off, as the BKG looks a little too smooth IMHO. This is typical of where they live, so providing you don't spook them, just check for other exits, as they have a habit of having several exits, very frustrating when you sit and wait!
TFS
Steve

Richard Unsworth
10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi Steve

dont know the sex of the bird, just my use of endearing english :-)
can you tell???
Interesting about the smooth bg; every now and then I get one like that; I didnt apply any more NR than usual
Sat there for 2 hours this morning with no show, yesterday it lol was there butb immediately flew up into the dense foliage.
I never use blinds or any other means of attraction/hiding. At the moment this is core to my book, Im just photographing as I go on foot through the Montado - its fun and its given me some great images. That does not mean I am against the use of tools. I feel this bird has been around the whole summer, say 5 months as I see it on and off at the entrance as in the picture. I would say there are at least another dozen owls on the 20 acres I am photographing in. I was lucky enough to see them mating twice, though I was too far away to capture. Tomorrow is another day; I love not knowing what will turn up next! I will rework, I also have a few more frames, thanks

Steve Kaluski
10-23-2013, 02:59 PM
LOL, I tenede to find the shy one was the female and I think she can be slightly bigger?

2 hours, try 8+ :bg3:, but any movement and they are spooked. Blinds will help and get you close, but it needs to remain in the same place and you need to get in & out quickly, hopefully when out hunting or in the nest site. As the youngsters get older their instincts kick in, so they learn to shy away from anything they deem as danger. Probably you will find the reason why they were in the same location was that they were a breeding pair and as both LO's sit on the nest, it's hard to know who's who. :Whoa!:

Look forward to more.

Richard Unsworth
10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks , the long wait begins....