PDA

View Full Version : Two Mushrooms

Mitch Haimov
10-21-2013, 02:00 AM
I'm still processing images I made in August...

This is from a stack of 14 (1.6 sec at f/8) plus one for BG (same comp; 0.4 sec at f/4). All at ISO 100. Fourteen exposures meant tiny movements of the focusing ring, but I would have been better off with 20. This is my first stacked image that is more than experimenting with the software.
5DIII, 180 mm macro lens, tripod.

All comments and suggestions always welcome/appreciated.

Don Lacy
10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Nice low perspective with plenty of detail and the white contrast nicely with the BG. Personally I would like just a touch more space all around as the subject feels a little cramped to me as presented.

Adrian David
10-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Nice staking of a lovely subject in very good condition! I would also like a little more space around the shrooms.

Diane Miller
10-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I love the detail you can get with stacks, and keep the BG soft with a fairly wide aperture. I'm on a laptop so not seeing the image at it's most accurate, but wondering if a little more detail could be found in the whites.

Steve Maxson
10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi Mitch. It looks like you're getting pretty good with the stacking! Very good sharpness throughout your subjects and they are nicely set off against the OOF background. On my monitor, the detail in the whites looks fine. This is very nicely done!

Mitch Haimov
10-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I agree the comp is too tight, particularly on top. I think I have a long way to go with stacking, Steve--spent a good 4+ hours on this; I suspect it would have gone more quickly (less manual retouching) with more frames or a smaller aperture so as to provide ZS more overlapping DOF to work with. Or maybe my expectations are too high.

Jonathan Ashton
10-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Very nice indeed, perhaps a 4:3 crop woud suit better? I love the fine detail in the pale mushroom, I not e the stray twigs at the base of the mushroom I think this is good, sometimes fungi pics look too tidy and it makes me think they have been tidied up too much.