PDA

View Full Version : Old Glory

Christopher Miller
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
This is a composite of two photos. I photographed the bald eagle at the Roger William's Park Zoo. They have a pair of bald eagles both of which have injuries that prevent them from being released into the wild. I combined that photo with a photo I had of an old American flag. I muted the colors on the flag and converted the eagle to B&W. I then added three of my own textures and two Shadowhouse textures.

Diane Miller
10-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Very nice all around -- composition and treatment! I love the muted colors.

Cheryl Slechta
10-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Beautifully done, Christopher. I especially like the faded colors and of course, the textures that you chose. I think I'd remove the one dark spot from one of the textures on the eagle's back (left hand side). You could pick it up and move it somewhere else, I just don't like it on the eagle because he's so beautiful.:S3:

Hazel Grant
10-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Nice work. Like how even though the textures muted a lot, the eye of the eagle is still sharp....a metaphor?

LinzRiverBalmer
10-22-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm never sure how to respond to your work, it's so very creative I always just think.... how did this occur to this person to create.

This really looks like it was printed onto a burlap bag, its great.

I agree about the texture on the eagle, would almost drop some texture from him so he pops in front almost 3-D like.

Great Comp, colors.... must go look up shadowhouse.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Beautiful control of textures and colours Christopher. If I were to be picky, I might tone down the brightest feathers in the neck and place the emphasis on the face. Really well done!

Nancy Bell
10-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I have really liked everything you have posted from the zoo. You really have taken the animals far away visually from their zoo surroundings and emphasized the unique beauty of each animal with your creativeness with textures. This is another lovely image! Jackie has a point with the bright feathers of the neck. And the space below the tail seems a tiny bit tight. The textures turned out especially well in the flag.

Anita Bower
10-22-2013, 01:23 PM
I find this a successful combination of flag and eagle. Turning it into a monotone (not really the right term) was brilliant. I like how I can see faint flag lines going through the eagle--enough to tie them together, but not so much as to be distracting. The size of the eagle and flag are just right. As someone mentioned--excellent job of keeping the eye of the eagle sharp. I agree about the neck feathers. I might slightly lighten the darker, reddish lower tail feathers. These are minor. I'm a bit unsure of the red tint--it may be just a tad too red. But, overall, an outstanding piece of work!

Marina Scarr
10-22-2013, 04:37 PM
This is REALLY top notch, Christopher. I love the sepia look, and the inclusion of the eagle and flag work very nicely all together.

Christopher Miller
10-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks a lot, everyone! I'm glad you all like it so much. :S3: Thanks for the suggested tweaks too.

Judy Howle
10-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I really like the composition, the faded colors, and the textures are wonderful. Nice work! I agree with the suggestions provided above.