PDA

View Full Version : Colorful Moth on leaf.

Satish Ranadive
10-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Image was created today morning. Cropped for composition and sharpened.NR applied to BG.

ISO: 400, 1/500 @ F: 10.0. Exposure bias: 0.0, manual. Hands rested on keens.
WB: Auto. HH. Canon: 550D, 400mm.

Thanks for viewing and appreciation. C & C are highly appreciated.
Kind Regards.

Carl Walker
10-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Hi Satish - you got quite a lot of detail here. Nice comp and clean BG. Did you get any more shots from a different angle? - be good to see at least one of the eyes - just wondering. Great shot

Diane Miller
10-20-2013, 08:08 AM
I love the colors and the almost symmetry.

Satish Ranadive
10-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank you for your nice words,Diane and Carl.
Carl, I do not have different angle of this moth.

Regards,
Satish.

Jonathan Ashton
10-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi Satish, I cannot be sure but I think this is not a moth but most likely a member of the skipper (a butterfly) family. You have a very clean image and the focus appears to have been in the middle of the thorax region, the DOF looks good. The 3D nature of the wings has meant that the uppermost wings are not in perfect focus but the lower wings and antennae are. I like the colours and the presentation.

Mitch Haimov
10-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Very interesting subject with good texture, Satish. The light is nicely soft for being direct. I like the angled grass blade; I would have preferred if you had moved the camera up a little and right more significantly. You have a lot of blown pixels, which (fortunately) is fixable, particularly if you shot in CR2 (RAW) rather than jpeg. The only change I made to the following was reducing the saturation (master channel) 17 points with a Photoshop Hue/Saturation adjustment. You could make the adjustment more targeted by applying it to specific colors. Or, better yet, if you do it in the RAW conversion process you have the greatest number of options and the most control. For example, I desaturated just the yellows 25 points in the raw conversion of the fly image in my thread of yesterday to take them from hot to somewhat muted.

Jonathan Ashton
10-21-2013, 04:56 AM
Satish Mitch has nailed it, I looked at your original and something was troubling me, there was a little lack of detail here and there and yet it seems to be mostly in focus - I would really like to see your repost as Mitch suggests I think there will be a big difference.

Don Lacy
10-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Wonderful little subject I also think it's a skipper not a moth. I pulled the image into PS just to take a look at the channels and while the red channel shows clipping and could use a slight adjustment I like the colors of the rest of the image and would go with a targeted adjustment of the yellow colors only with a saturation adjustment layer. Also I noticed that the image is not tagged with a profile you should really assign the sRGB profile when saving an image for the web.

Satish Ranadive
10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Thank you every body for feed back and nice words.
Mitch, Thanks a lot for your work on the image.It looks absolutely superb.I will do it again in Raw and re post.
Don, I only save the image (TIF File) in PS for web,I will check the profile of it.

Regards,
Satish.

Jonathan Ashton
10-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Satish in PS under Save for WEb there is a tick box for sRGB - once ticked it should stay there.