PDA

View Full Version : Looking Up

Cheryl Slechta
10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I took this image during the Worldwide Photo Walk. We were given access to the Hippodrome Theater which is usually closed that early in the day. The Hipp has wonderful plays and a small movie theater that usually plays foreign films or films that aren't geared for mass audiences. It is a historic building and has a wonderful elevator with the metal folding doors that is operated by a doorman. This was looking up into the one of the stairwells. I used a UV filter sprayed with hairspray while I was inside because I wanted to get a diffused look to create a sense of age and history of the building. When I was young my mother worked on the third floor for the US Postal Inspector so I felt like I was going back in time.:S3: (I used my Canon 5D, Mark III, 24-105mm lens.) Pretty much straight out of the camera except for lens correction in LR5 and I removed a small fire alarm box.

Nancy Bell
10-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Perfect for the theme! I really like the beautiful iron-work railing on the left balancing the horizontal lines of the window blinds on the right, with the soft creamy colors and lines throughout. The hairspray lens works very well in softening the stairwell. Love that hint of blue at the bottom right corner moving up into the orangey color, as well as the glow from the natural light.

Hazel Grant
10-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Like the diffused look, too. That hairspray idea is popping up a lot and being put to good use. If it were mine, I might consider toning down that bright shine at the center top just a bit. It seems to draw my eye away from the overall look. Great capture of the many angles and making them work together.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-22-2013, 04:26 AM
This is very interesting indeed, I love these kinds of shots, and the hairspray worked and is a great idea, might have to try it one day.

The story makes this one for me, elevates the image a lot.

Anita Bower
10-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Although I love that stair railing and the clever use of hairspray, I find that this image does not work for me. I find the many elements distracting and they don't some together for me. Sorry:-(

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Cheryl,

Greetings. Lens baby & now hair spray... the theme is working for you... ;-) I keep looking at this one. The lines are interesting and the overall color pattern. If it were mine I would play with the perspective distortion a bit along the lines of what one does with shifting with a t/s lens (the schemmesomething effect whatever that is). Thanks for posting this one.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Diane Miller
10-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Scheimpflug effect. One of my favorite (not!) words....

Cheryl Slechta
10-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Michael and Diane - I'll have to go google that:S3: