PDA

View Full Version : Procreation

Romy Ocon
01-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Greetings to Artie and company on the awesome site!

No idea on the ID of these insects, but it looks to me that the upper insect has extended its "mouth" to "hold" the head of the lower insect during the union. :confused:

40D + 100 2.8 USM macro + MR-14 Ring Lite
1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 1000, manual exposure, -1/3 FEC, hand held, 6 MP crop before resizing
Levels/contrast/USM/NR on the BG

Thanks for looking and for any comments. :)

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Romy no idea either but looks like we will be having a lot more of them !!!!!!!!!!

I like the sharpness and detail Efficient flash use looks very natural Wish they were on a luscious leaf Excellent image !!!

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2008, 09:56 AM
A well executed capture. No nits at all...

Arthur Morris
01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
The strong point here is that the image is sharp where it needs to be sharp. Impressive. Can you share with us exactly where on how you focused?

thanks and later and love, artie

Jim Caldwell
01-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Impressive image - I would like to add to previous comments that you don't have a lot of highlights from the ring flash - the lighting is nice and even. Unfortunately, I don't know what these are either!

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Very skillful execution here. DOF is right on.

Romy Ocon
01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks all for the comments. :)

The strong point here is that the image is sharp where it needs to be sharp. Impressive. Can you share with us exactly where on how you focused?

thanks and later and love, artie

Artie, I prefer to use AI servo on hand held macro shots when working with very narrow DOFs at or near the lens's MFD. This of course allows the AF to adjust to my hand holding movements. I use center point when the background is busy (and might grab the attention of the AF system), and all points when the BG is featureless.

In this particular shot, I believe I used the center point in AI servo, pointed at the insects' head area.

Regards,

Axel Hildebrandt
01-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Romy, good to see you here. I thought your only macro work are images of the moon. :)

I like this one a lot. Look forward to seeing more of your images.

Romy Ocon
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Lol.... thanks, Axel....:)

Hi Romy, good to see you here. I thought your only macro work are images of the moon. :)

I like this one a lot. Look forward to seeing more of your images.

Eric Wikander
01-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Her Romy,

Long time no type... LOL

If is to funny to see your post as I was looking at your site not two hours ago..LOL

Great image!

Romy Ocon
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Eric... nice to see you around. :)

Her Romy,

Long time no type... LOL

If is to funny to see your post as I was looking at your site not two hours ago..LOL

Great image!

Mike Lentz
01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Perfect image, Romy!

Joseph Warfel
02-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Hello Romy,

Very nice shot of mating flies. Male on top.
The family is: Micropezidae (stilt-legged flies) This group can range from northern temperate climates, and obviously the tropics.

Regards,
Joe Warfel