PDA

View Full Version : Toccoa Falls, another view

Hazel Grant
10-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks for comments on my previous posting. Rather than battle that one trying to get it brighter, etc. I decided to try to post another view. Shot with a Nikon D7000 in raw, 1/320, f11, iso 400. Some cropping to eliminate some side trees and hopefully make that large rock in the fg not so glaring. Hope this one is better.

Anette Mossbacher
10-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Hi Hazel,

nice falls.
Your image has no color profile ( sRGB ) assigned as well is quite small!
I think the rock in the FG on the LHS is to bright. The upper LHS side, dark patch, the black is "1 - 0" :Whoa!:

It would be nice, if you would also participate in other threads in this Landscape more with comments. That would be lovely. :tinysmile_shy_t:
Only through participating and reading we learn in here. If I would sit back and just post, stop by a week later, I never ever would be where I am now!
Thanks a lot :w3

Ciao
Anette

Hazel Grant
10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
thanks for you comments, but really, I have just gotten into the landscape forum as of this week after a long time away----months. I did comment already on a couple of postings. Sorry that wasn't enough.

Don Nelson
10-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Hazel
I'm not fond of waterfalls with the water frozen in mid-fall; others may be. IMHO dropping the ISO down and applying a ND0.9 or ND1.8(or something in that range) to get the speed down below 1/6sec (with the height of this fall, you will need that or less to "flow" the water.
Annette is right about the rock in foreground. You'll have to work in the raw to open up some of the detail, if it exists, in the remaining dark area on left.

Also, post a little larger than 390x600. I think you can go vertical up to 800 (and of course 1024 horizontally if you are doing a landscape-format image)
Here's a quick rework....not intended to be final. the jpeg is just too tiny for good PS work.
Rather than using masks, its simple to use a gray filled overlay blend layer and use your soft brush (sized appropriately) to lighten or darken key areas...

Andrew McLachlan
10-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi Hazel, for a waterfall in full sun you did pretty good with this one. On the occasions where I do photograph waterfalls in full sun I will immediately garb an ND filter as Don mentions above, to slow things down and capture the motion of the cascading water. Please do size your verticals larger as it does make critiquing easier.

Hazel Grant
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks. I'll keep the ND in mind for the future. I sized the posting according to the OOTB procedures I'd been following for quite a while. Ill re-think and correct this in the future.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-19-2013, 01:40 AM
I have no critique to offer as I suffer on waterfalls, might brave a post one day, not sure..... but I have no idea how to critique them.

I will say I think your main enemy on this shot was the light, had it been overcast or a different time of day I think it would have worked out much better as is.

Largest file size to upload vertically is 900, horizontal 1200.... its ingrained my brain, I'm new here and figuring out sizing methods.

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2013, 01:14 PM
A nice view here Hazel - and some good suggestions given above. I personally feel not all waterfall images need to have soft, streaky water and that this kind of look has its place.
We can all offer better critique and enjoy the good aspects of the photos posted better if you could post larger (Linz has got the sizes spot on) :tinysmile_shy_t:.