PDA

View Full Version : Andean Cock of the Rock (Peru)

Glenn Bartley
10-17-2013, 12:36 PM
No trip to Peru would be complete without getting some good images of this species. They are so incredible to observe. Especially when you have about 15 males at a lek site!!!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 4
ISO: 800
Lens: EF600mm f/4L IS II USM

In case anyone is interested I added a gallery of images from my recent Peru trip to the "articles" section of my website - www.glennbartley.com

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Glenn,

Greetings. I have to say that I'm really not sure what I'm seeing here. That's one odd looking bird.

Cheers,

-Michael-

hennieloots
10-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi Glenn - I've never even seen i pic of one of these! I like the composition and pose/HA. The perch works good for me. The IQ seems low on my monitor and I wish for more detail in the red feathers, as well as the black in the wings; maybe a big crop? I think the red channel and the blacks are clipped, IMHO. Still, very unique bird & I appreciate you shared.
Cheers
Hennie

Diane Miller
10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
It's a very nice shot of a spectacular bird, but the reds are a little flat. That isn't uncommon. If it was processed in LR or ACR, the default Adobe Standard Camera Profile (in the Camera Calibration panel) often slams reds from Canon cameras. Try the other choices in the Profile dropdown there.

Then with reds showing some detail, go to the HSL panel for some tweaking to bring back the richness. Saturation would be the last choice of effective tweaks. In Photoshop it might be enough to just increase contrast in the red channel in Curves, or try Selective Color and add some Cyan to the reds. Then possibly bring back some richness by adding Yellow.

You can also get a lot more detail in the blacks using the Shadows slider (in concert with the others as needed) in LR / ACR.