PDA

View Full Version : Storm Approaches

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2013, 12:05 PM
While primarily a nature photographer....I love lighthouses! From my Iceland trip and I look forward to exploring this area even more in 2014 as they were just finishing up painting it! Had to move a few ladders to not get them in the frame! I hope they are restoring the light itself as well because it would make a really interesting place to explore for a while!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 12-24 @ 12mm for 1/4 sec. at f/22 tripod mounted. Saved at 67Q (ugh) to fit.

Markus Jais
10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Good shot. I like the composition and the clouds in the sky.
The red color of the lighthouse is perfect for this image.

Markus

Diane Miller
10-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Great convergence of lines from all the corners toward the lighthouse, which really stands out.

Anette Mossbacher
10-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi Roman,

great color for a Lighthouse. Comp works. I might would have moved a bit more to the left to let the 'path' lead in the image the way. You where there not me, just my thoughts.

I might would tone down the green patch in the FG. That caught my eye first!
Graduate filter will do the job. I also would get more drama out of the clouds. Graduate filter again, play with the sliders in LR .... you will find what you need for that :bg3:
This is just IMHO! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Have a great evening

Ciao
Anette

Don Nelson
10-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Roman
Nice composition and like the color of the fresh paint.
Not sure what is going on with the posted image -- there is a sharpening halo around the lighthouse as well as at the edge of the sky/rock
Its observable at the native resolution, but here's a an enlarged pixel peep that shows it better.
your thoughts?

Andrew McLachlan
10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi Roman, love the terrain and the clouds but the color of that lighthouse is awesome...really grabs your attention, but I guess that's what lighthouses are supposed to do isn't it :S3:

Perhaps what Don is seeing is a result of the 67% image quality?

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Love your use of the lighthouse here. Good spot by Don - not sure why that would be as you are normally quite meticulous Roman? :e3
Nice colour contrast between the storm clouds and vibrant red lighthouse.
I might be tempted to go for a bit darker feel in the clouds?

Don Nelson
10-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Roman
One more thing I was waiting to see if others brought up -- the extreme wide angle lens has made the lighthouse lean to the left quite a bit - quite noticeable - a funhouse sort of effect. was the lighthouse in poor condition? or is this an effect of the extreme wide angle lens? (all extreme lenses seem to have this effect).
If not how the lighthouse really stands - Did you apply lens correction in the conversion tool(whichever path)? and is the fine white line a result of uncorrected (in PS,etc) Chromatic aberration which all extreme lenses have? Just wondering....
I like the use of the wide angle field of view and the llow viewpoint looking up the slope. Great use of color.
Don

Cheryl Slechta
10-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi, Roman, I love the composition on this one and the color of the lighthouse. The convergence of lines in the sky and rocks is wonderful:S3:

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks all. Don...not sure why but it was saved at 67....so not sure. I did not run perspective control on this so anything would be as shot. I don't see it on the raw....so? I did contemplate making the sky darker....guess my mood just wasn't that dark! On the road again with limited access....so hope to pop in as connection allows.