PDA

View Full Version : Little Owl

keith mitchell
10-17-2013, 04:11 AM
Little Owls.
Nikon D4
Nikon 300ml 2.8
320 @f7.1
My first post on this forum so looking forward to it,a picture from a Little Owl project that i have just spent a long time on but i must say it as been very rewarding and brought me lots of pleasue, could be that it is a little large in the frame but i did manage to get pretty close to these cracking Little Owls.
All C&C most welcome.
Keith.
FWI the bg is winter wheat. think it helps to separate the subject nicely.

Steve Kaluski
10-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Hurrah, you have finally made it here Keith and managed to post an image, congrats. :cheers:

You have come to the right Forum for help & advice Keith and the Avian boys & girls will really help you progress your passion. By also participating in other threads and postings you will learn a lot more and your confidence will also grow in terms of shooting & PP. Take time to browse the whole Forum, there is a wealth of knowledge, experience and helpful advice waiting to be untapped, enjoy.

Cheers
Steve :wave:

PS If in doubt, just ASK!

Karl Egressy
10-17-2013, 05:05 AM
Welcome to BPN. Great place to learn and enrich your knowledge. Your first post is great. Love the smooth background, nice looking back pose and the ragged tree stump as a perch. It looks a little over sharpened on my monitor.

Carl Walker
10-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Welcome Keith and a super 1st post too. These are stunning owls and it has gorgeous eyes. Great clean background and good detail. It may be slightly over sharpened but exposure is spot on and great perch and comp. Look forward to more of your owls:S3:

Lyle Gruby
10-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Welcome to BPN! It sped (and continues to speed) up my learning curve exponentially. Great first post. Great complimentary background, I really like the perch, nice composition. I'd agree with Karl and Carl--it's slightly over sharpened for my taste.

Frank Schauf
10-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Excellent shot with great eyes.

vishaljadhav
10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Wow a great eye contact , captivating
i love the pose
i feel the frame is too squarish and i may add a bit on the top

John Robinson
10-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Does seem a litle over shapenend but no big deal. I think it could do with a bit of a drop in gamma.

JR

christopher galeski
10-18-2013, 12:06 AM
nice capture.like the BG,sharp with good detail.welcome.

Steve Kaluski
10-18-2013, 02:32 AM
Hi Keith, colours look good and the backdrop of the wheat field makes for a lovely setting, love the rustic post too.

The sharpening is a quick fix, but next time I might just ease off on the black around the eyes as they have ridges around the curve, it's not smooth. Likewise the youngsters tend to have a slightly paler yellow in the eye, small tweaks but I feel will make the difference in the future. The square format works, but don't get too hung up about this format, let the image dictate the crop.

A great start, keep them coming. :cheers:

keith mitchell
10-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Thanks a lot for your welcome and advice.