PDA

View Full Version : It's a bird! It's a plane! ... It's a bird! ;-)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-16-2013, 01:35 PM

Went zipping by... Acorn Woodpecker near Big Sur. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Diane Miller
10-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Appropriate pose for an Acorn Woodpecker -- they always look like clowns to me! Keep shooting at them -- they have very pretty feather patterns.

Christopher Miller
10-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Definitely not your usual flight pose. It looks like the woodpecker's just hanging in the air. Do you have enough pixels to support a larger crop so that the woodpecker is bigger in the frame?

James Shadle
10-17-2013, 12:07 AM
The wing position alone qualifies this as OOTB:w3.
Tough to get these little guys in the frame regardless the position.

Cheryl Slechta
10-17-2013, 05:49 AM
I love the pose, Michael:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
10-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Brought a smile to my face!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Diane, Christopher, Capt. James, Cheryl, Jackie,

Thanks much for the comments. They are greatly appreciated. Had some fun shooting this group storing acorns in a couple of dead tree trunks (unfortunately, 30 feet up). I have one or two I'm still working on with better wings spread, but it seems that they do like speed... I guess I would, too, if I could dive like that and stop on a dime.

Cheers,

-Michael-

LinzRiverBalmer
10-19-2013, 12:40 AM
Hahaha, my first thought was Penguin...... then realized I don't think penguins really fly...... always read the comments.... LOL

Cute little fella, woodpeckers are tough.

2 month trip for medical reasons last fall/winter, stayed in 3 states with numerous Pileated Woodpeckers, my Father was so jealous over the phone.

I sat for hours listeing to them, seeing them, hearing them get close, got home with one picture of a blurred red head in the trees........... urgh

Definitely works for this theme, and I agree, any more pixels to make him bigger???