PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher #3

Jim Crosswell
10-16-2013, 08:23 AM
This was taken behind the house on a set-up perch over a month ago. This is the last image with this perch and BG combo. I have put a new perch on and moved the pole but no luck so far. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 1D MK IV
500L f4
1.4 Extender
ISO 800
f7.1
1/1000s
Tripod

Richard Unsworth
10-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi Jim

Well I cant criticise this at all, the perch, bg and feather detail are spot on, as is the composition.
The fish is also in a nice position. I guess you have these around your place; no kingfishers here in Portugal with the exception of the typical British one.
I am not likely to see in this area but have seen them 300km north of here. You did particularly well with the reds here

Stu Bowie
10-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi Jim, love the perch placed diagonally through the corner of the frame, and you have captured a lovely angled pose. Of course, showing off his meal is a bonus.

With this being a set up, please let us know how it all came together - do you have a fish bowl or water feature with fish to attract the kingfisher, as Im sure he didnt arrive on your perch with his meal. :w3

Jim Crosswell
10-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Jim, love the perch placed diagonally through the corner of the frame, and you have captured a lovely angled pose. Of course, showing off his meal is a bonus.

With this being a set up, please let us know how it all came together - do you have a fish bowl or water feature with fish to attract the kingfisher, as Im sure he didnt arrive on your perch with his meal. :w3

Thanks Richard and Stuart for your comments.

Stuart the house is on a lake where the Kingfishers are active in September. The Kingfishers patrol the lakes edge going from perch to perch. At the base of the pole that hold the perch I scattered some rocks to provide a habitat for minnows. It is hit and miss when they will be around but if you can hear them rattling they could be coming. For this particular image she fished off my perch and returned several times.
Thanks for your interest.

Jim Crosswell
10-17-2013, 11:52 AM
I wasn't completely satisfied with the OP so I tweaked it a bit.

Daniel Cadieux
10-17-2013, 12:00 PM
I was going to remark that the image was a tad dark, the repost does address that. Some fill-flash would also have been nice, but I strongly suspect that these KFs are pretty flighty when it comes to that. Nice comp, details, prey item.

Mervyn Marsh
10-19-2013, 05:47 PM
awesome photo, this bird has character, and great work getting one having a snack. :)

cheers,

Merv