PDA

View Full Version : Okay I'll Play, You all are very muse like, Travel Photo

LinzRiverBalmer
10-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Quite impressed with the landscape images here as well as travel, so I will start commenting here as well.

This is a travel or landscape I suppose.

Don't move it to Avian, take a close look.

Do I have to say where this was take...... my favorite spot on earth, or close to it.

Camera EXIF

Sony cyber dsc hx 100v

HH no flash, overcast mid day

1/400 at f/4.5, ISO 100

PP, don't remember so long ago, minor though as I had no good programs, probably pushed 'auto fix'

Today in LR, corrected whites a bit, auto levels, brought out some detail on under wing. output sharpen standard

Nothing done to the background.

Anette Mossbacher
10-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Linz,

the Indian summer looks great in the BG, but the fake eagle does it not for me. Sorry for that. ( I live in Europe, no idea about this place, only about Indian summer )

Have a great evening

Ciao
Anette

dankearl
10-16-2013, 07:28 PM
I also do not understand what the eagle is all about or why it is in the photo at all.
The fall color is nice, looks like Vermont or New Hampshire?

LinzRiverBalmer
10-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Thank you both for the comments.

The eagle is actually a life size bronze (and other metals) that is a kind of Mascot for Rocky City, which is a botanic and rock garden all within natural ancient rock formations on top of Lookout Mountain which straddles the Tennessee and Georgia State Lines.

From the top where the eagle is you can see 7 states.

He also overlooks Lover's Leap which has a great story and Native American Folklore.

My foliage BG is the Tennessee side in November during the turning of the leaves.

This whole 'park' also sits on top of Ruby Falls, an underground waterfall that to this day they can't find the source.

Very intriguing place, one of my favorites.

Here is a link if you are interested in the stories.....

http://www.lookoutmountain.com/rock-city

Diane Miller
10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Interesting idea -- I hope you were able to get some autumn foliage shots. That is a great situation for intimate landscapes.

I'm on the road, near that area now and will be even closer next week, and it's looking like it might be a bad year for autumn color.

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Have to say the eagle isn't working for me either.....maybe a bit more left in the frame if possible? Neat story.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-17-2013, 06:44 PM
thanks to all.

I did get foliage shots Diane, without the eagle.

The story is what really made this shot for me, so I understand others don't get it.

It's just a magical spot in a place that feels very ethereal.

Andrew McLachlan
10-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Love the autumn colors and ditto Roman's though about the eagle possibly working better if it were more to the left side of the comp. Nice story about this location.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-19-2013, 01:47 AM
thanks again to all for the comments, the color of the foliage is the best I've ever gotten, we just don't have that much variation here in NM usually.

I think I'm a little biased on the location and the eagle just from travel experiences and we now have friends that live within a window view of this exact image. This was taken 2 years ago, friends moved out there a year ago. So every time I talk to them I think of this view.

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Linz, love the fall colours. To me, the image would have worked just as an abstract of the trees without the eagle. It's a bit prominent. If you want to use it in the frame, I would make it less prominent (stand further from it or zoom out), and place it as if you would place a real bird - with space on the RHS of the frame for it to "look into". Good to see you posting, looking forward to more!

LinzRiverBalmer
10-22-2013, 06:22 AM
many thanks to all, and yes hindsight Morkel and others suggesting more room, and more avian imaged like. Luckily I do have some of just the foliage.

At the time I honestly was just composing something pretty, hadn't thought of shooting it as an avian shot, as I hadn't gotten into shooting birds, or foliage... LOL

I shoot strange thins sometimes I admit fully. My brain has way more imagination than my camera.