PDA

View Full Version : Trick of Light

LinzRiverBalmer
10-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Well this should be a fun theme, and I was going to wait a few days and play around more with this image.

Then I saw only Cheryl has posted, so will join in so she is not lonely.

This is a favorite shot and it almost got entered into my State Fair this year but there was no good category.

Let me start by saying I know this is OOTB in the fact that there is major halo effects going on..... that's just part of this image, the light is very curious.

All of this is a trick of the light, but don't ask me how, I don't know.

This was a surprise shot when I looked at it, the forms in the lower right of cross and halo were just there, and I know much be the effect of the light on the subject.

Taken mid morning, almost straight up.

This is actually the top of a very large statue made up of copper angels in a Christmas tree formation made by a woman in her 80's in Arizona.

This is the top angel or Goddess as I like to call her.

PP.... I did burn down the sun some behind her head at the top. Brought in a slight bit of tone mapping to the statue to bring out some of the textures.

That's it, Hand Held close up, no flash.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
I love the perspective, and you are saying the light just reflected on the cross? Very spooky. I really like it!

Cheryl Slechta
10-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey, Linz, this is very cool! The perspective is wonderful.:S3:

LinzRiverBalmer
10-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Thank you Both.... any idea if the thank you button will come back???

Jackie, this is all tricks of the light.

I did not see the cross and halo until I loaded my photos onto my computer after this trip. I took several pictures and only this one had this effect in the lower right hand corner.

I know it must be a trick of the light in some fashion, there really isn't too much of a cross shape in the sculpture, the forms are all exactly the same stacked on top of each other in a tree form and the center is hollow.

We are spiritual here, but not religious..... that said my Mother is still freaked by this photo, she thinks the halo looks more like an orb.

So I'm sure it's the sculpture shape, my position, and the sun that created this, how is beyond me.

Could be energy or vortex this is in Sedona after all and the woman who sculpted this has several that are all goddesses, I call this picture the goddess of light, so maybe she truly is.

Judy Howle
10-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Wonderful perspective, light and processing. Definitely a great surprise! The texture on the statue is very interesting.

Christopher Miller
10-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Very cool perspective and lighting, Linz. I like the clouds and textures, and that little cross is a great touch.

Marina Scarr
10-16-2013, 09:08 PM
The composition here works very well, and I love the light shining through.

James Shadle
10-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I get a futuristic / Science Fiction feel from this image.
Ominous / Strong.

Anita Bower
10-18-2013, 05:21 AM
I think the photo works because when I looked at it I thought it was a woman spreading her arms wide, sort of like an angel. I like the designs and textures of the structure. I'm at odds with others in that I find the cross and light area above it distracting. Strong composition, great angle.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Many many thanks to all.

I've learned this is a love it or hate it image, so it was not entered in my state fair this year as it was way to "fine artsy".

I really appreciate this forum as even the hard core photographers can appreciate a different view. Even if it's not something we would do personally I think we should all be able to look at a work of art and appreciate it for what it is for the person that created it.

This forum seems able to do this in spades which is way more helpful than sticking to the tech aspects of photography all of the time for every image.

As soon as the theme is over I will post a picture of the whole statue, you will find it most intriguing I think.