PDA

View Full Version : Learning Flower Photography from Denise but going with my own style....

Arthur Morris
10-14-2013, 08:28 PM
This Cosmos bloom was photographed with the Canon 200-400 f/4L IS lens with Internal TC and an external 1.4X TC with the EOS-5D Mark III. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops: 1/160 sec. at f/8 in Av mode. The 2-4 with two TCs gave me the reach that I needed to isolate this blossom against a killer pink background.

To learn the location and how we found it click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/10/14/so-much-to-share/#comment-630889).

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Mitch Haimov
10-15-2013, 12:10 AM
That lovely BG really makes this image, Artie. Would have been nice with greens or browns for BG, but the BG as is elevates the image considerably. I also like that the stem is somewhat angled. Works very well as presented, but I do wish for enough DOF to fully cover the outer edges of the lower petals (without bringing up detail in BG).

gary ellwein
10-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Love the isolation of the subject and bg. My best to Denise.

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2013, 02:31 AM
I like the colours in the flower, the flower head is nicely detailed. A minor criticism is the protruding sepal? on the flower at 5.30.
The pink background is different and not at all unpleasant but I am not over the moon. Pink on pink doesn't seem to appeal to me greatly.

Arthur Morris
10-15-2013, 04:27 AM
..., but I do wish for enough DOF to fully cover the outer edges of the lower petals (without bringing up detail in BG).

Not possible without blending two images....

Arthur Morris
10-15-2013, 04:29 AM
I like the colours in the flower, the flower head is nicely detailed. A minor criticism is the protruding sepal? on the flower at 5.30. The pink background is different and not at all unpleasant but I am not over the moon. Pink on pink doesn't seem to appeal to me greatly.

I love that tiny, right-pointing sepal, I love the pink BKGR, and I love the pink on pink. Go figure.

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2013, 08:28 AM
I love that tiny, right-pointing sepal, I love the pink BKGR, and I love the pink on pink. Go figure.

I know what you mean, we just have differing opinions, that's what makes the images so interesting:w3

Mitch Haimov
10-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Not possible without blending two images....

Understood...hence "I wish for" more rather than suggesting stopping down. As I said, a fine image!

Steve Maxson
10-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Artie. I like the simplicity, the slight diagonal of the comp, the soft light, and the clean pink background. Very nicely done!

Daniel Cadieux
10-15-2013, 07:12 PM
The pink-on-pink rocks man! I like the BAA-style image design...it does not only apply to birds :-)

LinzRiverBalmer
10-15-2013, 11:14 PM
very nicely done and I like that you haven't over worked the flower, if at all.

for a pink on pink image which is not my favorite color, I do like this and actually find I would like it more if the stem were a bit more detailed.

have fun and if you really want harsh critiques on flower photos just come to NM state fair judging.

Satish Ranadive
10-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Arthur Sir,
Wonderful image with magical and pleasant colors beautifully complimenting with lovely flower.

Regards,
Satish.