PDA

View Full Version : Squacco Heron on final approach

hennieloots
10-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Image captured this past weekend at a local bird sanctuary. I was lucky with some frequent action by around 5 or 6 Squaccos who were very active during the early morning. I liked this image because of the interesting wing position and the details visible in the wings and the fluffed-up tail feathers. I suppose the HA is all but perfect, but I liked the eye peeking out from under the umbrella. I hope you like it too.:S3:

Techs: Canon 1D-X | Canon EF600mm f4L IS II USM + 1.4x III– 1/2500s @ F/7.1 & ISO: 1600 |EB: +1 EV| On Gimbal head on tripod from hide |
PP:
Crop – 40% of original
LR – Contrast +2, , Adjustments to Exposure, Whites & Highlights slider, Sharpened, No NR
PS6 –Midtone contrast with Luminosity mask, Lightened the head and beak, eye with Dodge tool, Darkened the FG and HL in the surface water, Curves, Selective sharpening of subject only with USM x 2.

All comments and critique always welcome and appreciated!
Regards
Hennie

Vivaldo Damilano
10-15-2013, 01:55 AM
Stunning pose and light. I agree with your comment on head angle but the umbrella pose works nicely, like the BG too.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Excellent umbrella pose. Since the light was behind the bird, did you have to lift the shadows on the face/bill/body in post? I think I see a halo above the bill/head and along the body. The sharp feathers are great.

Daniel Cadieux
10-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Neat landing pose. I suppose better lighting on the face and body would have been super, but on the bright side (no pun intended) the wing does indeed look very good all lit up like this. You do need some CCW rotation as the image is slanted down left to right. I would also take some off the bottom and add back at top if you have it.

Stu Bowie
10-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi Hennie, great sighting of a lot of Squacco's at Marievale, thats just showing off. I like the umbrella wing position, well exposed, and yes to quite a bit of CCW rotation.

vishaljadhav
10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
nice pose captured and i love the exposure on the wings, very good work to capture it with good SS
i love the water covering , agree with a bit of rotation and adding a silver to the top

hennieloots
10-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to have look and the comments. Daniel, I agree on the suggestions regarding the comp, thanks.
I struggle to see the CCW rotation, but I will try and see, maybe just doing it will make something go "click" for me.
Cheers
Hennie

Stu Bowie
10-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi Hennie, here is my version with a corrected rotation. All I did was line up parts of the water that should be running in a horizontal line.

hennieloots
10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks Stu, it clicked. Amazing how I sometimes cannot see the obvious! Cheers, Hennie.