PDA

View Full Version : Return to Shangri La

dankearl
10-14-2013, 01:35 AM
I posted a heavily processed poorly backlit photo of this Juggernaut of a waterfall a few weeks ago.
I went back today at a better time with even shaded light.
This waterfall is a monster, Flat out the best waterfall in the Columbia Gorge area and it is relatively unknown.
It is in my backyard and I only heard about it a month ago.
This is FF 16mm if that gives you an idea of how big this is.
I am standing on a ledge trying to keep the lens clean!

16mm, iso100, f16, 1/2 sec., D800, Grad filter

DSC_8696bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133553&stc=1&d=1381732361)

Don Nelson
10-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Well done, Dan!
I like the colors in the growth surrounding. No blue or cyan cast in this one!
Do you have any with a slightly faster shutter speed -- ~1/10 to 1/15? I prefer just a little more definition in my water (fall pictures). But it does have a nice dreamy effect as taken.
Kudos!

Roger Clark
10-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi Dan,

You have so many waterfalls! (I used to live in Seattle)

Beautiful image and nice exposure, but I feel that it is cut off at the top. Do your have an image with more on the top, or could make a mosaic? I would also darken the lower left foreground a tad.

Roger

Anette Mossbacher
10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi Dan,

fantastic place & image. I love those to tree at the RHS of the falls, just a pity that they are cut off. Would love to them full size beside the falls. Vertical would here maybe an option too! Next time, please :bg3:
The processing is very nice done in this one. I also do not see a blue cast :w3

Have a nice eve

Ciao
Anette

Diane Miller
10-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Very nice -- I'm a sucker for waterfalls. I had the same thought as Roger, although I realize there might have been distractions there (so often the case).

When I can't fit in a scene, even at wide angle, I'll shoot a 2 or 3 frame panorama (vertical or horizontal) and stitch it. PS does a very nice job of that. The only tricky part is, with wide angle encompassing so much FG, it's necessary to get the lens at the nodal point to eliminate parallax. Or a tilt-shift lens is a better option.

Lots of info online about that. Really Right Stuff makes a lightweight nodal slider and the last time I looked they had good information on their web site.

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey Dan,
gives a great sense of vertigo! I can see this as a pano....and I usually love to see the tops too.....but then the falls may get lost or it will probably introduce more unwanted elements.....so I am OK with this as presented. Diffused light makes a world of difference with falls!

Andrew McLachlan
10-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Hi Dan, I love this as is...more on top might be a nice addition but may introduce the sky peeking through trees...I am interested in seeing more of the little cascade below the falls. Is there any chance that you could get out onto that exposed dirt in the lower right. I think if you could you would be able to include more of the little cascade in the image...just a thought.

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2013, 05:05 AM
I like this framed as is, Dan, but more at the top certainly won't hurt. I agree you can tone down FG (and perhaps water?) brightness a tad.
Your waterfall photo processing has certainly come a long way - this looks dreamy and luminous while still appearing sharp with good contrast.