PDA

View Full Version : The Magnificent Freakin' Red Balloon

Marina Scarr
10-12-2013, 03:55 PM
The male Magnificent Frigatebird, with its pouch inflated during the breeding season, is a most spectacular sight. They are 3 feet long and have up to a 7 foot wing span and are often referred to as Man of Wars. You will often see them while boating riding the thermals in front of a front. The farthest north they nest is in the Dry Tortugas but they visit this area to roost for several months during the year before heading back south for the nesting season. This is the closest I have ever been able to get to an inflated male, and I was fascinated by the tufts of black feathers on the pouch itself.

This was shot while standing in knee deep water. A Bonnet Head Shark happened to swim within 4 feet of me while I was shooting. It was my first shark experience/sighting ever! It looked rather ominous, but I was informed that it would not hurt me. The things we do to get the shot!!!!

Canon 1D4, Canon 500 & 2.0 TC @ 1000mm
F9, 1/1250sec, ISO 640, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Grace Scalzo
10-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Well this won't be an experience that you will soon forget! The image is superb with great detail and interest.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Marina this is soo cool. Wish I was there. An inflated male huh?? I won't say another word !!LOL So nice and close. Not sure what is worse gators or sharks. Great job.

Grace Scalzo
10-12-2013, 07:40 PM
OK, Cheryl, I wasn't going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole. :w3

Stephen Stephen
10-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Well done Marina. Great exposure and lovely head angle. I've only see this bird soaring high above me before. It must have beena wonderful experience.

Loi Nguyen
10-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Marina, this is so strange looking a bird! The focus here is the inflated balloon, so you showed it well ad I don't mind part of the bird is cut off - although I wouldn't mind seeing the whole bird since I have never seen one -- exposure was handled expertly as usual. Well done. Loi

christopher galeski
10-13-2013, 01:26 AM
nice capture Marina.

Frank Schauf
10-13-2013, 03:29 AM
Wow, great timing, great action.

gail bisson
10-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I really like how close you were able to get to this guy. Fun story to go with this image! You won't soon forget the experience.
Good IQ and detail.Reds look good. I like his foot wrapped around the branch.
Gail

Stu Bowie
10-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi Marina, excellent DOF, and you certainly exposed the reds well enough, and the blacks too. Great close up of the bill, and would love to see that wingspan.

When looking at the perch, I thought the bird was holding onto a sword. :w3

Carl Walker
10-13-2013, 08:52 AM
" The things we do to get the shot!!!! "

This rings so true. This is a bird I have not seen. I think you have done well to capture the bird in this pose. I guess when the bird deflates the pouch the feathers on it help conceal it. The blacks look good - well exposed and you can see the greeny sheen on it that I presume is natural. The detail, HA and eye are really good. Is this the only crop of this you have or did the shark distract you a bit perhaps:S3: Would have been great to see a full horizontal shot

Sidharth Kodikal
10-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi Marina, nice look at a unique bird. The exposure looks perfect. Love the sheen on those black feathers, the inflated pouch and the perfect HA.
A very memorable experience, I bet. Be safe!

Marina Scarr
10-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Here's a look at what the male looks like when his pouch is deflated. Now quite as sexy. :e3

Karl Egressy
10-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Interesting experience with the Shark, (I would have been frightened) and a great image with nice colors and details. The pouch is very impressive. Great work, Marina.

David Smith
10-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Great images Marina.. Like the BG, Colors, sharpness, composition and everything about these images.. I would imagine that the shark sighting was a bit unnerving..LOL

Dave

Satish Ranadive
10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Spectacular portrait. Beautiful colors and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

James Shadle
10-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Rare sight in these neck of the woods. Well seen and captured.
Good to see both the Frigatebird and you showing off:S3:.

Doug Brown
10-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Impressive stuff! First the freezing cold of Ottawa and now shark-infested waters!