PDA

View Full Version : Parasol fungus sp.

Jonathan Ashton
10-11-2013, 05:09 AM
Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro tripod MLU ISO 100+0.3, 1/3 sec f11
All C&C welcome

Steve Maxson
10-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi Jon. Another cool looking mushroom! I like the off-center placement of the fungus and the small fern in the LLC helps to balance the comp. The background is nicely OOF, the cool color tones work well with this rather moody shot, and all the mosses add interest. You might try toning down the bright areas in the LLC - a minor point. This is very well done!.

Mitch Haimov
10-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Very interesting mushroom, Jon. Comp works very well--having the log (I assume) at an angle rather than the more obvious straight across the bottom is a nice touch. I do wish the bottom of the stipe weren't visibly cut (you could clone in a very small amount of moss to hide that if so inclined). If I were in the field making this image I would have had a polarizer in my pocket, but it almost certainly would have stayed there even though I think it would have been helpful here. (Unfortunately, I am too often guilty of having the perfect tool with me but not thinking to use it until after the fact).

Jonathan Ashton
10-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks Steve & Mitch - good suggestions i will try them.
Mitch I also have a polariser in my camera bag - I took it and never even gave it a thought - but I will next time.

Mitch Haimov
10-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Hello again, Jon. In re-looking at this image I notice that it appears that a workable alternative for avoiding the cut stipe would be to clone a very narrow strip from the bottom.

Hi Mitch, I don't understand what you are referring to - where do you see the stipe has been cut?

Allen Sparks
10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi Jonathan, I really like the composition of this as Steve and Mitch have already stated. Nice placement of the mushroom and the other vegetation also adds a lot of interest. Well done. - Allen

Markus Jais
10-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Great composition and wonderful soft light. I like this a lot.
I might have used a polarizer her. Might have helped with the reflections at the top. Maybe you can make it a bit darker in Photoshop/Lightroom.

Markus

Jonathan Ashton
10-13-2013, 02:20 PM
I see what you say Markus - I have a new monitor - it will be calibrated on Wednesday, meanwhile it looks good to me but will recheck after calibration.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-15-2013, 11:39 PM
This one is my favorite, don't know much to tell you on the other comments, but generally this is great and something I would dream up or hang on my wall.

Some minor adjustments maybe, dark vertical line just to the left of the shroom, part of BG but a bit distracting compared to the rest.

Love the FG and mosses, lovely and dreamy all together.