PDA

View Full Version : Red-backed Salamander (Lead-backed Morph)

Daniel Cadieux
10-10-2013, 05:14 AM
I must have found at least a dozen of these guys hiding under fallen logs in a local forest. It seemed that every other logged I (carefully) flipped over had one underneath it! Always a favorite sighting and learning opportunity about wildlife for the kids. Here's a full-frame image of the most cooperative subject of the lot. I used a small twig to raise the head up by lifting it under the chin (after few tries they often remain up like this).

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/50s., f/6.3, ISO 800, flash @ -2 FEC, a few specular highlights on the body cloned out, and darkened the fg in lower right corner.

Jonathan Ashton
10-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Good to see you here again Dan! You obviously went for a comparatively wide aperture (wide by macro forum standards that is), I think it works well, the head is beautifully isolated and the DOF is maintained along the full extent of the head and also importantly the front right foot..
I think a smaller aperture to try for the other eye would almost certainly not worked, it is too far away and you may have ended up with a less satisfactory background.
The eye looks good but I wonder if it would be possible to get a little more detail at 3 o'clock and six o'clock - perhaps not.

Markus Jais
10-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Great shot. I like the shallow depth of field and the composition.

Markus

Mitch Haimov
10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
This is a sweet image. Nice detail in the skin, BG works very well, interesting subject nicely posed, DOF covers everything it needs to. Very cool that your subject was so cooperative.

Allen Sparks
10-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi Dan, a very fine image here. Very nice critical focus on the eye and head. Pleasing background too. well done. - Allen