PDA

View Full Version : This Is My Land

Loi Nguyen
10-10-2013, 01:47 AM
A male lion defiantly lie in the middle of an intersection in the Serengeti, forcing all vehicles to go around him. He looked up at us as if saying "this is my land!"

Taken after sunset

5D3
70-300L @ 81mm
1/250
f5.6
ISO-3200
Handheld
Took a sliver off top and left.

I did try NR, but didn't see any difference, so decided not to apply.

I'm experimenting with high iSO and would like your feedback here.

Thank you

Loi

Steve Kaluski
10-10-2013, 04:00 AM
Hi Loi, I quite like the crop as presented, but would trim a sliver off the top to loose the odd bits & hint of vegetation. Have you also thought about another crop alternative going pano ish along the lines of Rachel/Anettes images? I just wonder if moving the vehicle or position more to the left may have given you a better angle, plus given him a bit more 'modesty' :bg3:. He does look quite content and in a typical stance, content & lazy. The swishing raised tip of the tail is nice, they do have that lovely 'metronome' movement to it. :S3: Did you add any Contrast to the image, if so try dropping it or setting it back to zero, I think it helps as I went negative and IMHO it's a little less crunchy, WDYT? Adding a Graduate filter from the foot to the base of the belly does bring out a bit more depth & detail. Also adding a Lumo mask to the Lion does bring out a bit more 'warmth' to him, likewise brush in the FG sand with a 50% (figures optional) brush. If you can remember, try using the sharpening sliders in LR, that will make a difference, just another option.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Hi Loi - High ISO seems fine here and you got a good look at the male. I'm not usually a fan of road shots but nothing you could do here. Steve has made some excellent suggestions as usual. I would definitely look at a 16x9 crop from the top. There's a strong sharpening halo along the lower back and rump.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I love how they can be so blasé about these things...
I too am not too fond of the road in general, but have learned to try and use it sometimes (as our cats in the Kalahari and Kruger LOVE to walk on the roads).
Good suggestions above, not viewing on ideal screen at the moment so will reserve comment on colour.

Markus Jais
10-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I like this a lot. The eye contact is great. The road works very well here and it is good to see the Lion lying on the road. I like the car tracks.
Noise looks very good. With the 5D III and 3200 you often don't see much noise with subjects like this, particularly as the lower resolution on the web.
And the sensor is just really good in that camera.

Markus

edwardselfe
10-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Hi Loi - nice sharpness etc and Steve has given you some ideas definitely. I wonder if you might have got a more natural shot if you'd been able to move away from your subject and use more of the length of your lens - you'd get a lower angle on it. I suspect that you had others in the vehicle and a driver (rather than yourself) but most people have decent zooms and understand when you explain why you want to move FURTHER from the subject....just an idea. You might have got less of the vehicle tracks too.
Ed

Loi Nguyen
10-11-2013, 02:24 AM
Hi Everyone, thank you for your comments.

Rachel, thanks for the tip on the halo.

Steve, the contrast was strong because I pushed the Levels in way too much. I took just a sliver off the top, but wanted to keep the road as it tells the behavior of this lion. I didn't want this image to be a portrait :). I also cut down the UMS a little bit too.

Loi