PDA

View Full Version : Sahalie Falls

dankearl
10-09-2013, 11:20 PM
One of the great falls on the upper Mckenzie river in the Oregon Cascades.
i have never been there in cloudy weather which would be nice as these big powerful bright falls
are tough to shoot in sun. This was in the morning in half shade, half sun.
Anyone familiar with them knows that I hiked down on dicey wet steep slopes to get this at the bottom of the falls.
The main lookouts are at the top (you can see one in the upper RHC.)
It actually looks bigger from the top.

1/4, 22mm, iso100, f16, D800, CP

DSC_8055bp2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133384&stc=1&d=1381378730)

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi Dan - this is very nice with good exposure, dof and ss to blur the water. I do wish that you could have moved left to have the whole falls but it sounds like it may not have been possible. If it were mine I would reduce the blue and cyan in the water, particularly in the llc.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Nelson
10-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Rachel's comments on the blue/cyan are spot on. I'd suggest another round of sharpening.....
Rachel - not really possible to move enough left to expose the falls behind the big rock. These falls don't appear as large as they really are due to Dan's wide angle choice. they are listed at 73 feet

Roman Kurywczak
10-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey Dan,
Falls are tough in mixed light and you handled it well. Agree with tweak suggestions. I'm looking at this and see vert potential with a tighter comp using the puddle at 5 o'clock as a FG element. Still nicely done overall given the conditions. I have to make it back there soon!

Markus Jais
10-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Wonderful composition and a beautiful shot. It seems like you really handled the high contrast situation.
I like the long exposure on the waterfall.

Is this from one RAW file or did you blend a few exposures?

Markus

Morkel Erasmus
10-14-2013, 06:47 AM
One of your best waterfall shots composition-wise and look&feel wise!
I agree on the cyan bottom LHC. Exposure well handled indeed, tonal contrast is also very pleasing.
I'd also consider a very slight lift in shadow detail of the foreground and midground?

Andrew McLachlan
10-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi Dan, you have done very well capturing this scene in the mixed light, it is often difficult to do this well. For me the horizontal perspective works nicely. Could you have zoomed in tighter to eliminate the log sticking into the frame on the left side of the frame...an easy clone fix though. Very nicely done!