PDA

View Full Version : Dawns Promise

Don Lacy
10-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Still playing around with getting a feel for my new 6D one of the things I notice is it has a differnt color pallet then my 1DMKIII and it really shows the limitations of my 17-40 f/4 lens I am now starting to hear Zeiss calling my name :eek3:

Two image blend shot with a 6D, 17-40 at 21mm, 1.6s at f/16 for the foreground image and 1s at f/16 for the sky, iso 200, tripod

Diane Miller
10-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Wonderful!! I love the subtle pink glow on the water. f/16 and 21mm on a full frame conceals the worst of the wide-angle problems, and the resulting motion blur is gorgeous. I'd love to get my hands on the Zeiss 15mm -- is that the one you're thinking about?

dankearl
10-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I have no idea what you think the lens problem is.
I think this is superb.
The water is just right and the FG has a lot of interest to go with the very nice sky.

Don Railton
10-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Beautiful Don.. Shutter and exposure perfect IMHO... I especially like the water drawing back into the rocks LLH side. I have an 18mm Zeiss and a big smile when I use it..

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Don- this works extremely well. Nice choice on the ss, the blur effects are perfect and so is the color palette.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Lacy
10-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Diane I am looking at the 18mm and 21mm the 17-40 is awful in the corners at 17mm and only slightly better at 21mm so I will get the 18mm first.

I have no idea what you think the lens problem is.
I think this is superb
Thanks Dan, I recently did some everglades work and the images where useless at 17mm and 21mm at f/8 the pine trees in the corners had no detail I ended up trashing all the images. In my beach images fine detail is not as important in the corners since they are mostly sky and water so the lens limitation are not as noticeable.

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi Don, looks good to me. The water is perfect! I have heard that lens can be soft in the corners but I do not really see evidence of it here. Nice one!

Diane Miller
10-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I have the Canon 16-35 II (supposedly an improvement over the "I" but if so, it must have been really bad. On my full-frame Canon 5D III at 16mm, the corners become acceptable to me at maybe f/9.5, depending on the subject, of course, and even the center is not good wide open at f/2.8. Stopping down is generally OK for landscapes but if I'm including stars in a night scene I need IQ at a wide aperture. I don't shoot that kind of scene often but it would be nice having the capability. The 15mm has gotten some great reviews. I hadn't really paid much attention to the 18 or 21 -- I'll check them out -- thanks!

I thought about wide-angle T/S lenses for a while but apparently they are bad in the corners, too, unless you stop way down.

Don Lacy
10-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I thought about wide-angle T/S lenses for a while but apparently they are bad in the corners, too, unless you stop way down.
The new version II tilt lenses are excellent the best wide angles that Canon makes looking at the MTF charts here the corners are very good on the 24mm http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/603-canon24f35tse2?start=2

I hadn't really paid much attention to the 18 or 21 -- I'll check them out -- thanks!
Many consider the 21mm the best wide angle lens made for 35mm cameras http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/470-zeiss_zf_21_28_5d?start=1

Diane Miller
10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Good info -- Thanks! I think I'll start a thread in Photography Gear, if a quick check doesn't find the subject of wide-angles has already been hashed out there. There is always new info and insight.

Anette Mossbacher
10-11-2013, 02:06 AM
Hi Don,

very nice image, all sits for me.A
according the lens. I have the same lens, strangely I do have not that prob your are all talking about. Very seldom I notice a tad. But must say, I had it calibrated on all my cameras from CPS! Maybe that does a difference. Also Micro adjustments or how that is called was done by myself on the 1DX I took along to the Arctic. But there was nothing to set up, as it was fine, as well in corners! But will have a look with that Zeiss you are all talking about. Most of my Landscape images are done with my 70-200mm II!

Have a great day

Ciao Anette

Roman Kurywczak
10-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Hey Don,
Love the comp and choice of SS......colors and blend look excellent too!