PDA

View Full Version : Topi

Gregor Bergquist
10-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Shot at Masai Mara. The topis is just about to hit each other.

Nikon D3
Nikon 600 mm
f4.0 | 1/400 SS | ISO-3200 | -1/3 EV

Selectively processed the objects and the usual pp - all in LR5

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Very nice image with a very shallow DOF, the OOF white spots are a bit distracting. The Topi on left is nice & sharp and am glad we can see the eye. Colors look a little cool.

Gregor Bergquist
10-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi Sanjeev

Thanks for comment, and I think you are right. It is a bit to cool. Just quickly changed the wb (and thanks Steve for tip). I should have seen this...

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Nice light on them. The colours seem better now but there's still some magenta and cyan lingering.
I also feel they are VERY smooth, too smooth actually - as if you used noise reduction on the animals...?
I think a vertical crop to the one on the left is stronger as the one on RHS isn't adding anything to the composition.

Steve Kaluski
10-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Hi Gregor, changing the WB does make a difference and I feel it is going in the right direction, but occasionally you still need to do further adjusting and I agree with Morkel that there is still some casting coming through. I tried to balance this out overall and IMHO it does look better LOL :bg3: but the greens are still looking a little rich, did you add any saturation? The subjects do look smooth, no real definition although there is form, but like Morkel be interested to know your thoughts, could it just be simply down to shooting at f/4, however being so close and Ed's recent image shot at f/4 and what he got... The two white 'blob' are distracting and I would vote to remove them. Going portrait is another option, but it comes down to IQ. Would have preferred a little more separation albeit a fraction between the LH Topi and the one in the distance.

I do have a colour tweak if you want to see for guidance.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi Gregor - nice to see something different, we don't often get topi posts. The rp does look better but I agree with Morkel and Steve that there are magenta and cyan casts and that the image looks smooth. I'm also wondering why you had negative exposure comp given that based on your other techs it seems that you were struggling for light.

TFS,
Rachel

edwardselfe
10-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Agree that it looks a little smooth but I think that's NR on the animals as there should be more detail than that. BG looks normal to me though. Would try to remove the cherry coloured cast from animals although I do remember that they are a nice orange red colour, so should be a small adjustment IMO.
Ed

Gregor Bergquist
10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone

Thanks for very good comments. I do agree and have made a new try. Errors is from beeing a bit sloppy, and still have lot to learn. Anyway, the lesson is to never use sharpness or noise reduction overall, but always do it separately. Comp wise I do get your point, and this is something I was trying out before posting. I opted to keep the rh topi. But maybe you are right, a clean portrait is stronger. IQ should not be the problem. I keep it this way, anyway.