PDA

View Full Version : Miller lake

gary rouleau
05-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Miller's lake Louisiana just before the sun rose.

Date: 4/22/08
Time: 5:14:22 AM
Canon EOS 20D
Lens (mm): 18
ISO: 1600
Aperture: 5
Shutter: 1/640
Exp. Comp.: 0.0

gary

Robert Amoruso
05-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Gary,

I like the idea here and the composition is good but it is too dark for me. I copied the image and did a curves adjustment on it - I just pulled the curve down about 3/4 ths the way up on the mid-tones and it opened it up to see all the detail in the water. I reposted the image here. I think you retain the moody appearance but provide more visual detail of this well composed image. Additional work with the curves adjustment will open this up even further if you so desire. I did it just enough to better see the water detail.

gary rouleau
05-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Robert it looks great, thanks. On my computer working in PS the picture does not look so dark as when I post it. I guess I have add an action to bump the lightness before posting.

Thanks
gary

Roman Kurywczak
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Gary,
Robert's re-post definitely conveys your comp better as you can now see it. I like the way you separated the trees and the mood it conveys. I might add a little more brightness to the water (very Little)..........so that my eye can actually find the details....while still working at it. Nicely done,
Roman

Leroy Laverman
05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I like the mood in the shot quite a bit. BTW some of the lightness differences might be due to the embedded profile. Your original is in Dot gain 20% and not sRGB. Depending on your browser it treats everything as sRGB which can be problematic for some images.

I thought the composition was too centered so I cropped from the bottom and right to give it a wider aspect ratio. I'm not sure if I'm happy cutting the reflection of the tallest tree on the left but I was trying to get the horizon down more towards a 1/3 line. The only other modification was to convert to sRGB color space (I started with the OP).

Philip Pietri
05-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Hmmm...
Believe it or not...I like the original.

It's menacing. I love it.

Bob Ettinger
05-10-2008, 10:55 AM
When I first saw it, I thought too dark. Once Robert reposted it looked much improved.

Robert Amoruso
05-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I like Leroy's crop.