PDA

View Full Version : Fungus - ? Common bonnet

Jonathan Ashton
10-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Tripod 50D, Canon 180mm macro, mirror lock, cable release, reflector, ISO 100 1/8 sec f11. Image taken in mixed woodland.
Here is the first of a few fungi shots - not too hot on ID so please correct me if you wish!
All C&C welcome.

Steve Maxson
10-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Hi Jon. Very nice comp and background! I like the curved stem and the low shooting angle that gives a view of the gills - I'm assuming that you used the reflected light to brighten the underside of the fungus. Very well done!

Jonathan Ashton
10-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks Steve, yes that is how I used the reflector.

Mitch Haimov
10-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Nicely done. Fungi make great subjects and the delicacy of this one is appealing. I like that you got low enough to reveal the gills. BG is nice and compliments well. Works well as presented; another option would have been to stack a few exposures to get all of the FG within your DOF.

I am seeing what I assume are a couple OOF dust spots--one near left edge about 1/4 way down from top of frame and one near right edge about half way down. I tried cropping with a piece of paper and think you could trim some from the left (added bonus: would remove the more visible dust spot).

I checked my copy of Mushrooms Demystified to see if I could offer an opinion on the ID, but it does not include common bonnet in its "over 2000 species." Not really surprising as it is for US and Canada.

Jonathan Ashton
10-09-2013, 05:16 AM
Mitch, thanks for C&C, yes I see the dust marks - funny thing is I "removed" them in ACR and yet it has reappeared!

Carl Walker
10-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Hi Jonathan - I like the detail you have managed to capture here. Your bg is great and I think you have cropped this perfectly. I like the host log shown here too. TFS