PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Landscape?

Cheryl Slechta
10-08-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is really a landscape but couldn't figure it out so thought someone would chime in. I was in St. Michaels, New Brunswick recently at a Freeman Patterson workshop and my I went out the day I arrived before the workshop to see what was close by. I was on foot and it started raining so I headed for this covered bridge and found this composition. I did a shadows adjustment and NR. (Those are rain streaks in the window, not on my lens).
Canon 5DMkIII, 24-105, f/8, 1/40 sec., ISO 1600.
Thanks for looking (I know, it's kind of OOTB:S3:)

Valerio Tarone
10-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi Cheryl, of course it's\ a landscape. My eye goes first at the long prespective on the center-right. But not a lovely one.

Rachel Hollander
10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi Cheryl - I think it's a landscape too. If not, it is certainly a travel photo so belongs in this forum either way. Very different and good eye. I like the picture within a picture effect. If it were mine I might try to open up the darker shadows still a little bit more.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
10-08-2013, 11:01 PM
In most Landscape forums, this would not be considered a "landscape" photo, but I think it is brilliant.
My eye goes from corridor to window and back and forth.
An easy image of the week, superb......
I hate to disagree with Rachel, but the black shadows make it work.
No need to see the mundane, the view ports all that matter.

Don Railton
10-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Hi Cheryl

i like the perspective and the windows providing the glimpses in different directions. The orange pile of whatever captures my eye a little too easily however and i think if this was toned down there would be a better balance to these views. I would also vote for a opening up a little more of the shadows inside of the passageway (especially the roof) simply because the dark areas form such a large part of this image and large black voids dont make a good image IMHO. I would just prefer to see a hint (and just a hint) of those mundane boards..

regards
DON

Anette Mossbacher
10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Hi Cheryl,

for me it belongs in here. There is Landscape through the nice window "frame" :bg3:
I have to agree with Rachel. I would just brighten up the RHS of the "hallway" since from the LHS comes the light. With the LHS, dark side I would leave in the "hallway".

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Cheryl, very nice perspective. I think you have just enough detail inside the bridge and I love the way it leads us to the views outside the bridge. :S3:

Cheryl Slechta
10-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. I still don't see the "Thank you for this comment" option or I would have done that as well.:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Cheryl - certainly fits the BPN definition of this forum in any case. In most other places there's a "travel" section which is basically for landscapes with "hand-of-man" influences.
I agree this works well, with the dark corridor forcing us to look through the windows. Well seen and presented. Certainly not something I am adept to doing. Put me inside a building with my camera and I freeze up...:Whoa!:

Cheryl Slechta
10-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Hey, Morkel, I just noticed (for the first time:eek3:) that the Forum is for Cityscapes and Travel as well as Landscapes.