PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher III

Lyle Gruby
10-07-2013, 11:57 AM
This is a shot I got the other day, I believe it's the same kingfisher I posted a couple weeks ago. The water levels at my local lake have changed quite a bit, and it's pushed her to some new perches where the light isn't as cooperative. I shot this as the sun was just coming up, but it hadn't made it over the trees and onto the lake yet. I was lying flat on my stomach in a makeshift blind of tall grass, full camo, fake green grass over my lens and camera, and camo netting over me along with a little grass sprinkled on. Small crop for comp., sharpening to bird and perch, NR to BG, levels and curves.
All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3s
700mm
ISO 2000
f/5.6
1/100

Marina Scarr
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
What a super image of this cutie-pie, elusive, nemisis of mine, bird!!! The pose and hairdo are great but the best part of this image is the BG!!!

Jonathan Ashton
10-07-2013, 01:16 PM
A fine pose and excellent quality. I also like the background and the gossamer threads.
A small point to consider would be the perch, the end appears to have been clean cut, that is the only (minor) negative point I would mention.

Robert Kimbrell
10-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Nice Capture, A beautiful little that I just can't seem to find. A really B/g. As mentioned, that is a terrific pose.

Miguel Palaviccini
10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I was wondering how you got so close, so great job on the makeshift blind and camo! The "hairdo" as Marina mentioned, makes it even better!

Daniel Cadieux
10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Beautiful picture of this young gal! BG pretty sweet as already pointed out. I agree the perch is unfortunately cut straight...would you be able to replace it in the field? A better HA would also have been better IMO but I'm still digging this a lot...way to go!!

Mervyn Marsh
10-08-2013, 03:30 AM
sweet shot! nice and sharp photo of a kingfisher :)

Lyle Gruby
10-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Not sure what to say about the perch except that I have my doubts that is hand cut. There are no other limbs in the entire lake that have been cut, and that limb in particular is less than a foot out of the water for most of the year.