PDA

View Full Version : Another infrared

Diane Miller
10-06-2013, 10:00 PM
This one was from last fall. Was wandering in a local park with a friend and we were both lacking inspiration (wound up going out for pie as a consolation prize). But afterwards I found I rather liked this one -- I just glanced up and saw this pattern of branches as we walked by. It was basically a grab shot with the IR-converted Canon 5D (50mm lens), but I immediately shot the same view with the 5D3, at approximately the same focal length with the 24-70, and tried converting it to B/W (Silver Efex Pro). I tried all the tweaks but it was just nothing, compared to the IR.

Light is magic. Capturing it is hard.

dankearl
10-06-2013, 10:19 PM
I like the processing and the leaves are cool.
I think a tighter crop from the bottom with the main trunk coming right out of the corner would look good.

Diane Miller
10-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks! But cropping from the bottom would move the main trunk even farther from the corner...

In retrospect, seeing it here, I'd crop some of the busy-ness from the top. For me, the eye should go to the tip of that branch that curls back toward the main trunk. i don't want to crowd it too close to the bottom.

I think I tried to get those trees in the LR out of the composition and couldn't. Wonder if I can find this tree again.... (If not, I can definitely find the pie place again.)

gary ellwein
10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Diane, I also like the IR effect. I am thinking about converting an old Nikon D 200. If you are able to find the tree, consider changing your perspective and eliminate the bg vegetation occupying the right lower quad.. The tree against a clean bg would be most effective.

Diane Miller
10-07-2013, 12:49 PM
It definitely would be better that way but I do remember that I tried, and just couldn't do it and keep the curling branch, which I liked. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't try again. A step to my right and forward would have helped but I assume there was something in the way -- I would have thought of that. Maybe a different lens. Or a chain saw....

Or -- hmmm -- maybe I could double-process and tone down the trees. I don't like them. Will report back if I have time to try it.

James Shadle
10-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Leave the crop alone! I like it.
Great lines and well balanced.
IR was the way to go.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-08-2013, 01:07 AM
very interesting image Diane, I like it, I like all trees.

I do like the IR here, this seems to be a kind of new thing which I'm not overly familiar with. Other than to tell you that it was big at our State Fair competition here this year, an IR of trees and an irrigation ditch won the scenic category that had more than 100 entries.

Also an IR of a horse got honorable mention in animals. I think it lends very well to scenic things especially trees.

Very nice

Christopher Miller
10-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I like the play of light and shadows in this image, Diane. Not sure I like the blurred vignette, I might remove that. I think it would definitely look better with a tighter crop, something like this, focusing in on that one curved branch.

Cheryl Slechta
10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi, Diane, I really like this image. I could see cropping just a tad from the top. I think the vignette adds to the ephemeral look to the image.:S3:

Diane Miller
10-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Christopher's crop could definitely be an alternate.

I reworked the image slightly and it helped a few things I didn't care for. I did remove the blur of that one branch -- not sure why I let the blur encompass it in the first place. East to do as it's simply a masked layer, and a Smart Object in the bargain, so I could tweak the amount of blur after I got it assembled and masked.

There were several heavy, dark areas near the top that I didn't like and I lightened them by painting over them in quick mask mode and using its selection to mask a curves layer, that let me lighten them.

I also darkened the LL corner somewhat. I like it better now but still hope to re-shoot it when I get time.

The differences are subtle but I'll toss it out anyway.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Great Diane, love it as presented.