PDA

View Full Version : Water Clover

Norm Dulak
10-06-2013, 09:41 AM
D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 vr lens @ 300mm
ISO 800; f/5.6, 1/1000 sec; MM -0.33
Topaz DeNoise; Standard CS6 adjustments

This little water clover (Marsilea mutica) plant was growing among the water lilies and giant lily pads at Longwood Gardens. Most people paid no attention to it, passing by it and looking only at the much larger and colorful lilies. But I thought that the various shades of green, delicately rimmed in red, and the symmetry and structure of the plant were beautiful.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Mitch Haimov
10-06-2013, 10:19 AM
This is an excellent subject, Norm. The central pattern on the top leaves adds a lot of interest and the black BG works well here. Very well seen. I don't know because I am unfamiliar with this plant, but I'm wondering if it might be a tad too warm. If you lower the color temp a little in your RAW conversion or use selective color to take a little yellow out of the greens does it better match what you saw? I wish the back leaves were all within your DOF--were you contending with subject movement, or could you have stopped down? The fact that you have a black BG rather than a gradual transition from sharp to OOF draws attention to the softness there. That said, I like this one very much as presented.

BillTyler
10-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Beautiful color and composition. I like the black background a lot. Nicely lit.

Bill

Jonathan Ashton
10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
I think this is beautiful, I love the detail and colours. I don't know if it is possible to develop the theme - are there other different but similar type subjects you could capture I can see four prints hung up in the lounge in my mind's eye.

Norm Dulak
10-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments!

Steve Maxson
10-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi Norm. Very cool colors, patterns, light, and sharpness! This one really jumps out at you! My only suggestion would be to clone the four small blue spots on the left side. Excellent work!

Norm Dulak
10-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi Norm. Very cool colors, patterns, light, and sharpness! This one really jumps out at you! My only suggestion would be to clone the four small blue spots on the left side. Excellent work!

Thanks, Steve, for the suggestion.