PDA

View Full Version : Jamaican Owl

Rick Bowers
10-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Jamaican Owl (Pseudoscops grammicus) - Anchovy, Jamaica - April

Along with Barn Owl, the only two owls on the island of Jamaica. Fairly common endemic in remaining woodlands.

Nikon 8008, Kodachrome 64 (thank goodness for bright tropical colors!), 300 f4 + 1.4, flash on camera with fresnel, red eye removed in PS, noise reduction on BG.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Sweet little guy and nice detail on the face with good eye contact. I also like the curve of the large palm leaf. The image appears a little flashed to me which I am sure is tough to avoid.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Beautiful image, Rick. Gorgeous owl, and I'm really liking your bird placement, the slightly raised talon and the palm leaf.
For the slightly flashed look that Cheryl mentions, I pulled it into PS, added a bit of warming filter and reduced highlights, and I liked the change. Something to try ...
TFS this beauty.

Steve Kaluski
10-06-2013, 02:52 PM
As these guys hunt at night, how do their eyes deal with a flash? Just curious.

Rick Bowers
10-06-2013, 03:07 PM
In almost forty years of photographing owls, flash does not seem to bother them at all. I've had owls catch mice or insects just seconds after a flash. It is much like a very weak lighting flash. I've even had them copulate while multiple flashes were going off!

Steve Kaluski
10-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks.

I've even had them copulate while multiple flashes were going off!
Now that is being a bit of an exhibitionist :bg3: