PDA

View Full Version : Vignetting problems with Variable ND filter

Dick Huberty
10-05-2013, 11:23 AM
I recently purchased a Variable ND filter from Singh Ray for my Canon 24-70 f2.8 mark ll lens. On my Canon 5D Mark ll (FF) i get significant vignetting when I shoot wider than 35 mm. Singh Ray does not make a thin filter for the 82mm threads. My options are to return the filter and explore other options including a fixed filter or other brands or keep the filter and just deal with the vignetting in PP. How have others dealt with this problem?

Diane Miller
10-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I have the same filter and lens and FF camera. I rarely use it at the wide end, but have managed to correct the vignetting with the Lens Correction panel in LR, or in PS. Sometimes I've had to resort to a carefully masked Curves layer.

If I had just bought it, I'd look at the thickness of the other filters. The variable part is nice, but maybe not mandatory. Be careful if you go very far with it, too, at the wider angles -- you'll get a sort of cross pattern. You can see it looking thru the lens at the sky as you rotate it. The newer 10-stop (forget who makes it) will let you go further without getting it, and it isn't really noticeable at middle focal lengths.