PDA

View Full Version : When Robber flies attack!

shane shacaluga
10-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Was out and about with my 50mm lens and raynox macro adapter looking for butterflies or dragonflies to shoot. This setup is very portable and is great for medium to large insects

I came across this robber fly sunning itself on a rock. Took a few pictures as my buddy waited for his turn. He said to move slowly as it was in a good location and he did not want it to move. As i raised my body the fly took off. I was a bit disappointed for having frightened it away but I saw it do a quick loop and land back in the same spot. On close inspection i noticed that I hadn't scared it off, it was hunting and was merrily sucking some other flies brains :bg3:

Was quite impressed with their agility in the air and how close it let me get

D7000 with 50mm f1.8 + raynox dcr-250
f13
1/125
ISO 125
Homemade flash diffusor for the inbuilt camera flash
Hand held with manual focus

Usual PP levels, toned down background and USM on subject

C&C most welcome

Mitch Haimov
10-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Quite cool, Shane! Very good sharpness, nicely OOF BG. Looks like the fill flash helped reduce the harshness of the natural light. I bet those eyes look amazing at full resolution (I like that the robber's are black and lunch's are red). Subjects could be a little closer to LR corner for my taste, but I seem to like to go further with that than most.

Jonathan Ashton
10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Exposure colours focus etc very good indeed , I like the action even if the prey didn't. The tail of the robber drifts slightly OOF but I don't think that matters too much as all the action is at the other end.

shane shacaluga
10-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys