PDA

View Full Version : The Performer

Gabriela Plesea
10-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I did a bit of reading on this species while I recently watched this majestic specimen perform at a water hole in the Kalahari. It is said that the term " bateleur" translates into " street performer" in French, and it comes from this bird's habit of moving its wings from side to side when gliding. I also noticed that, unlike vultures, the Bateleurs land precisely on the water hole, or rather on the stones near the water. They are extremely entertaining, and I was thrilled to watch one particular individual warning his companions about incoming strangers. I can only compare the sounds he made with the incessant bark of a dog; while making these sounds he was bowing and raising his wings, only to bring them again close to its body, head pointing towards the sky and at times awkwardly bent backwards in what looked to me like a very uncomfortable pose.

I hope to share some of these images with you soon, meanwhile a first and humble attempt for you to critique and comment if you like. In retrospect, I think F 5.6 was not appropriate, should have used F6.3 or 7.1. I do have better images of this bird at higher F-stops but they require a lot of work, perhaps some cloning and extra canvas.

Nikon D3S
Nikon 400 F4
ISO 500
F 5.6
1/2000s

Kind regards, have a great week-end,

Richard Unsworth
10-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Show stopper, fine pose dof works for me as it intensifies the head
top shot lets see some more :-)

Grace Scalzo
10-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm fine with your choice of f-stop. Stopping down would not have changed much anyway. The head is nice and sharp, background pleasing, and I like your desription of the wing position. Please do share some more!

Diane Miller
10-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Awesome! My only thought would be to think about bringing out a little more detail in the dark region behind the eye, down the neck. But that's a small wish -- it's wonderful as is! Great sharpness and color -- was it soft light?

MohsenVahedipour
10-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Excellent capture with great details, pose & BG. I'm OK with DOF.

Girish Prahalad
10-05-2013, 05:19 AM
excellent freeze. the blacks look very good in terms of details & exp. It is very sharp where it needs to be.

gail bisson
10-05-2013, 05:23 AM
This is really good Gabriela.
The detail and sharpness on the head and eye are top notch.
Lovely light and unusual BG color.Well done!
Gail

christopher galeski
10-05-2013, 06:31 AM
great image,nice BG,sharp were it needs to be,well done.

Stu Bowie
10-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi Gaby, I like how the head is placed between the wings, and I do like the detail there. Great view of the feet, and overall, the bateleur pops nicely from the sandy BG. Well captured.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Sweet pose and excellent details. Exposure is perfect and I love the bg. Enjoyed your notes on this birds behavior. Looking forward to more!

Gabriela Plesea
10-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Dear BPN friends,

Thank you so much for your comments and praise, your kind words gave me a sense of achievement for my work. I did share this image with Steve K some time ago and he gave me advice on processing; tonight he reminded me to disclose performing some cloning done during processing. This was shot at a water hole by the name of Cubitje Quap in the Kalahari. A very unsightly water pipe had to be removed and quite a heavy crop to place the subject in the desired spot( thus some rocks surrounding the water hole were also removed, as well as a few green spots in the BG). Obviously not a perfect shot but I did all I could to improve this image. Should you wish to the the original I will be happy to post it.

Wishing you all a wonderful week-end,

Arthur Morris
10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I am fine with the depth of field and love the sharp face. For the repost I opened up the blacks of the head with NIK Detail Extractor and by pulling up the curve. Let me know what you think.

Gabriela Plesea
10-06-2013, 02:45 AM
Good morning Arthur and thank you, great finishing touch! I do not have NIK but at some stage during processing I opened up the blacks more using curves and then something made me go back again, even though I wanted that detail in the feathers. I think that "something" must have been my memory of these birds-the plumage looked pitch black, or rather-blue black, when I looked at them. It must have been the strong sun during midday, this is about the only time they like to bath and drink at the water holes.

I love what you did here, I wonder if you added some extra sharpening too, your version looks more vibrant and the image has that glossy clean appearance I always look for.

Thank you again for your time and input, I realise how important detail is and I shall process another image of this beautiful raptor-would like to try achieve the same result:w3

Warmest regards,

Arthur Morris
10-06-2013, 04:34 AM
Hi Gabriela,

Thanks for your kind words. Glad that you liked it.

re:

Good morning Arthur and thank you, great finishing touch! I do not have NIK but at some stage during processing I opened up the blacks more using curves and then something made me go back again, even though I wanted that detail in the feathers. I think that "something" must have been my memory of these birds-the plumage looked pitch black, or rather-blue black, when I looked at them. It must have been the strong sun during midday, this is about the only time they like to bath and drink at the water holes.

Yes, pulling up the curve too much introduces noise and gives the blacks a funky look.

I love what you did here, I wonder if you added some extra sharpening too, your version looks more vibrant and the image has that glossy clean appearance I always look for.

Did not add any sharpening. It's just that Detail Extractor does just what it says it will :). I use NIK on most every image that I process, and I no longer make one cent since Google took over NIK. But Color Efex Pro is magic....

Thank you again for your time and input,

YAW. I have not been spending as much time as I would like with my extensive travel schedule and the 20+ hours a week I put into the blog. You should subscribe. BTW, you might want to get a copy of my Digital Basics File (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252).... Digital Basics is an instructional PDF that is sent via e-mail. It includes my complete digital workflow, dozens of great Photoshop tips including Digital Eye Doctor techniques, several different ways of expanding canvas, all of my time-saving Keyboard Shortcuts, Quick Masking, Layer Masking and NIK Color Efex Pro basics, creating and using time-saving Actions, and tons more.

Last tip: if you go to my blog and type 15% in the search box, you can save 15% off the already low price for the whole NIK collection.

I realise how important detail is and I shall process another image of this beautiful raptor-would like to try achieve the same result:w3

Get NIK :).

Frank Schauf
10-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Excellent flight pose and sharp details.

Gabriela Plesea
10-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Dear Arthur, a great deal of precious advice and information you have given me above-THANK YOU! I will subscribe asap as well as buy NIK. TODAY!
I really appreciate you taking the time to help-believe me, it makes the world of difference.

Warmest regards,

Danny Laredo
10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Love the pose and details.

Gabriela Plesea
10-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Sorry Diane-I thought I had answered your question but looking through my replies I realize I did not-my apologies. Regarding light-unfortunately these birds like to bath and drink during midday when it is very hot. I do not remember precisely what time of the day this image was taken but I remember the light was very harsh. Lots of shadows, the eyes were pitch black and very detail in the feathers, unfortunately. I could only wish for soft light!

Kind regards,

Diane Miller
10-08-2013, 01:23 PM
In that case you get extra points for handing hard light beautifully! The shaded area of the underwing is just gorgeous!

David Salem
10-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Great capture with nice details Gabriela. Good Job!

Minh Insixiangmy
10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I love this one Gabriela. Fantastic.

Gabriela Plesea
10-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you Frank, Danny,Diane, David and Minh-I really appreciate your kind comments and time to view!

Kind regards,