PDA

View Full Version : Wildflower / Lawn Weed

Mitch Carucci
10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I have been spending far too much time watching this plant, and yet it is fascinating... Today it made a new flower, but because it was windy, I didn't get a very sharp image.
So, I simplified it.

I have not been able to identify it, yet I suspect it is quite common. It will start to open a flower in the morning, and roll it up by mid afternoon at the latest. That closed flower will drop off the next day, so it is only open approximately six hours.

Diane Miller
10-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I think this is very nice -- you made a great image out of it. There might be a little more detail in the dark maroon center, but it works as is.

Your information doesn't say where you are located -- I'm curious as this thing looks familiar but I can't place it.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Mitch,

Greetings. Nice, uh, focusing with simplify. I really like the color contrast and the composition with the closed buds. Maybe a little tight on the right. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Anita Bower
10-06-2013, 05:19 AM
I, too, have this little weed growing here and there in my garden, and don't know what it is. The seedpods are especially interesting.
I think you did a good job in rescuing a less-than-sharp image. I like that it shows the flower and the seedpods. I don't mind the crop. I'd like to see the flower stand out a bit more. As it is, the green areas draw my attention. Maybe brighten up the flower?

Christopher Miller
10-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I can't help on the flower identification, Mitch, but whatever it is, it's beautiful! I like the painterly feel and composition. I might reduce the contrast on the left hand bud just so it doesn't compete with the main flower.

Cheryl Slechta
10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Mitch, it looks like some kind of hibiscus to me. There is a native plant here is Florida that has a flower and seed pod similar to this called a Roselle that you can make jelly from the hips.

LinzRiverBalmer
10-08-2013, 01:25 AM
very interesting flower and processing. I agree with Cheryl and was going to say some type of Hibiscus. However I also have Gentian Tulips that act this way.

I like your treatment all except for the brightest green leaves, I think could be toned down to not compete with the buds and flower.