PDA

View Full Version : The Great Multnomah Falls

dankearl
10-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Easy to take for granted if you live in Oregon.
A huge tourist trap which I drive by all the time on my way to somewhere else....
Hiking today on the trails above the falls in the Columbia Gorge and when I returned and crossed the high bridge that
separates the upper and lower sections, I was taken aback by just how stunning this falls is.
This is a full 16mm frame, the top of the falls is barely in the frame, but it is there.
This is the upper falls, a 500 foot drop. The spray, the noise, you just have to be there...
For perspective, the boulder at the bottom is the size of a small house.

f16, 16mm, iso100, D800, HH on the bridge railing.

DSC_8594bp2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133154&stc=1&d=1380859450)

Don Nelson
10-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Dan

I know Multnomah has a window of light up there that you cropped out -- but it looks really strange falling off the edge (to my tastes). If you have and edge left - try putting it back in and then do a fill with some forest or content aware fill avoiding the water of course.

I also believe you need another round of output sharpening - the foreground is a little too soft for my tastes.

dankearl
10-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Don, I did not crop, this is the full vertical height of the image.
I shot it this way.
I got the same responses on another site where I post Landscapes, so your point is valid.
Multnomah is tough for me. It has the worst sky and cliff line of any waterfall in the gorge.
Just scraggly trees and blown usual gray skies.
Most others have a distant forest or something at the top.
I will have to try again sometime if I can get some better light above. I took verticals with the sky and I hate them....

Anette Mossbacher
10-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi Dan, my first thouht was, vertical, why not vertical. You might get the full waterfall in. If not, thought of stitching images together?

Second look, holy moly what a beauty. The colors are great. Trying this with a Big Stopper must look great. If you have a ND filter to stop down at least 30sec or more. Go there again and do one more. Maybe vertical! :bg3:Love it and agree

with Don with the sharpening.

Have a great Sunday eve

Ciao Anette

Cheryl Slechta
10-08-2013, 10:11 AM
My gosh, Dan, what a view! Vertical stitched image would look nice. Agree on the sharpening. Looks like an amazing place:S3:

Rachel Hollander
10-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi Dan - Looks like a really nice falls. Agree on vertical presentation but I also like this one and how the wind spreads the spray. I also agree on the sharpening. The whites at the top of the falls look a little hot to me and I would consider a bit of selective burning there.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Lacy
10-09-2013, 06:55 PM
HI Dan, Another wonderful waterfall image the Columbia Gorge is on my short list of places I need to shoot. If your worried about the sky I would go with a two image blend with different exposures or a soft edge grad filter.

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi Dan, agree with Don on another round of sharpening. I do like it as presented but a vertical version would be nice as well. I often try to compose my landscapes in both the horizontal and vertical orientations. I am going to have to make a trip out that way one of these days for these waterfalls. Nice one!

Morkel Erasmus
10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm actually fine with the crop/comp as is - but then I don't know the falls or area.
Nice vibrant feel to this one.
I was tempted to play with a monochrome due to the good tonal and dynamic range here. Quick conversion in Silver Efex and some dodge/burn in PS.
WDYT?

dankearl
10-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Morkel,
I like this, in fact I have done a black and white of the whole falls.
This is the top, there is a bridge and a bottom which you can only get with a vertical.
It does lend itself to B & W.