PDA

View Full Version : Teal small in frame

Simon Wantling
10-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi all, Not posted for a while as I've been so busy. Finally managed to get out over the weekend and captured this Teal. I've tried something different so as to not over crop the image and keep the Teal small in the frame. I think it works but would value your opinion. I'm not sure about the rouge feather sticking up and may remove it. I've removed a second catch light in the eye and processed Levels and USM in PS CC.

7D, 500mm + 1.4X, f.6.3, ISO640, 1/500ss.

Karl Egressy
10-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Excellent Teal image, although the head looks a little soft on my monitor. You might want to sharpen the head only a little more.

Iain Barker
10-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Hi Simon

I like your composition as it is. I do find the feather on the back a little distracting so agree it may be worth cloning that out. I also find the little highlight at the end of the bill (water droplet?) and the bight line it has caused on the reflection a little distracting maybe it could be toned down or removed?

Simon Wantling
10-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks very much and agree with the advice. Please see attached an adjusted image taking in the comments. Thanks.

Marina Scarr
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Lovely water all around this teal. Agree that the bird appears to be lacking details, even in the RP. I rather like the stray feather.

Simon Wantling
10-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks Marina - I'm always concerned about over sharpening and making it look horrible. Does anyone have any advice as to whether I can apply a bit more sharpening to this image. My gut feeling is that its not up to it really and maybe its just a record shot !