PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Insurance

Gavin Slabbert
10-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Equipment Insurance Question:

This is an issue that comes up for me every year, and I was wondering how you professional & semi Pro photographers handle your equipment insurance, and what equipment insurance companies you guys use.

I have looked at the PPA rates and they offer free equipment Insurance as part of their membership, but that insurance is for the depreciated value, so it is of little value as you are unable to replace equipment if stolen.
They also offer a Photocare Plus package I believe that it is called but again I would have to stipulate the value of the equipment purchased as the value / price paid. IE: If I bought a 400 f/2.8 used for say $2000.00 I could only value it for $2000.00 and not $5000.00 which would be actual value. Further If the equipment was purchased new and no longer being made by Canon, then for me to replace it based on the policy docs, I would have to insure the same 400 f/2.8 for $10,000 which would be theprice of the new version of the lens, even though I only paid $2000.00.
I have also looked at and used Hill & Usher for a couple of years now but to me their policy is pricey.
At the current rates my insurance for equipment would run me around $720.00 a year ($60.00 per month), basically priced out at $1.75 per $100.00. Though I would have to pay this lump sum, I can still cost it out at $60.00 per month and was wondering if I should stop being so damned cheap and just absorb it as a cost of business and move on.

Who do you guys use and where should I look ?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Grady Weed
10-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Your choice of white letters for those of us who have a white bg does not work so well. Can you change that so we can read it please?

Gavin Slabbert
10-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Your choice of white letters for those of us who have a white bg does not work so well. Can you change that so we can read it please?

Yeesh, thanks, somehow my view is black, and will use grey while I figure out how to change it.

Thanks Again

Marina Scarr
10-01-2013, 09:36 PM
If I were you I would join NANPA and get their insurance (Rand Insurance) which is through Chubb. It is just for photographers and you may chose whatever amount you wish to insurance your equipment. They pay extremely quickly for any claims, usually within a week or less. You may contact Kristen Squier at ksquier@randinsurance.com or 203-442-2510. She will answer all of your questions.

Gavin Slabbert
10-02-2013, 05:55 AM
Thanks, I am a member of NANPA and was not aware that they offered insurance. Will call today

Gary Kinard
10-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I opted out of all insurance at this point. No home insurance, liability on vehicles only, none what so ever. I try to put the extra money in the market each year. In dividend driven accounts. I had it all, home insurance, full coverage on vehicles, you name it. I got fed up one day and just quit all. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Gavin Slabbert
10-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I opted out of all insurance at this point. No home insurance, liability on vehicles only, none what so ever. I try to put the extra money in the market each year. In dividend driven accounts. I had it all, home insurance, full coverage on vehicles, you name it. I got fed up one day and just quit all. One of the best decisions I ever made.
An interesting concept, for me the issue is carrying $40k or $50k worth of equipment and having to trust it with the long fingers of various airlines around the world.

Gary Kinard
10-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Gavin, very good point. If you have to trust it to the airlines and shippers it is worth it.
I used to buy travel insurance. A one time thing. For me I purposely dropped the weight of my gear and size. I carry it with me on board.
Using the 500 II and 300 II It has solved that problem for me.
I live in hotels and travel daily, four years now. Have never had a problem. But that is not saying tomorrow I will not loose everything.
That being said. If it all got stolen tomorrow. I have an account set up earmarked Photography. So far it is doing just fine in a conservative dividend driven account.

Good luck, Gary

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos
www.birdsthatfart.com

Gavin Slabbert
10-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks Gary, I fly into south and central Africa a lot, 5 to 6 times a year, and as an ex South African (and head there again on safari tomorrow) I am very much aware of the long fingers in that part of the world. I have not lost any gear so far (touch wood), but I have had stuff in my cases disappear.
I typically take my stuff on- board in a pelican that has 2 locks and a lock strap on it. That hopefully will keep honest thieves out,

My concern is that the entire pelican case will grow legs, which happened to a client of mine. He had to gate check his Pelican case, and they provide no gate check tag there.
Now paying for a once in a lifetime safari only to have your gear swiped before you even get there really sucks.