PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jay.

Karl Egressy
09-30-2013, 07:09 AM
This was a setup aimed at to get the Grey Jays on up in Algonquin, but the Blue Jays were welcomed as well.
Peanuts and raisins were used as attractant.
It was very little light in the bush early in the morning, hence the high ISO and low aperture.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D M IV
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS II.
ISO 1250
f 5.0
1/320 s
fill flash

Stu Bowie
09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi Karl, I like how the Jay is posed along the perch, and with a good attentive stare. Ive said it before, and will say it again, I really like the colours on these guys, such a variety of blues, purples and greys. Killer smooth BG.

Marina Scarr
09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Lovely image with terrific colors and details, Karl. You did very well with your fill flash!

Martin Dunn
09-30-2013, 12:33 PM
I've never seen a Blue Jay in the flesh (feathers?) but they are very pretty looking birds.
Colours are super against a wonderfully neutral background and the perch works well. Nice detail.
Composition wise I'm not sure how much you cropped, if at all. I would like to see this with the bird and perch more to the left and with a bit more space on the right. But that's just me being picky.

Karl Egressy
09-30-2013, 03:27 PM
I've never seen a Blue Jay in the flesh (feathers?) but they are very pretty looking birds.
Colours are super against a wonderfully neutral background and the perch works well. Nice detail.
Composition wise I'm not sure how much you cropped, if at all. I would like to see this with the bird and perch more to the left and with a bit more space on the right. But that's just me being picky.

Thanks Martin. Your comments are well noted. I had some space on the right as the tripod with the food container was there. I might clone it out and add to the canvas.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I think I agree with Martin. I think a little on the right would be great. All and all I think this is a superb shot.

LinzRiverBalmer
09-30-2013, 11:06 PM
how I miss the blue jays here, lost them to west nile several years ago. Finally saw a couple this year.

great perch, I think I would like it more if it were at a bit of a diagonal coming out of the left side more towards the bottom corner at about a 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock position, as this would elevate the birds position which I think is great. The highlight in the eye could use a tweak of brightness.

David Salem
10-01-2013, 03:12 AM
Great looking shot of this beautiful Jay Karl. Like the pose, perch and the BG. Color and detail are perfect. Nice work.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Excellent details and pose, Karl. BG is great and comp works for me, as is. Very nice set up.

Satish Ranadive
10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Excellent image with wonderful colors. Love the pose and the way jay pops up against lovely green BG.
Superb details on bird and very nice composition.

Regards,
Satish.

christopher galeski
10-02-2013, 11:07 AM
its all been said Karl,very nice image nice BG, beautiful colors.