PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated Plover (Adult).

Daniel Cadieux
09-30-2013, 05:05 AM
Having an extra element in the frame such as the flower this fella strode by is a big bonus as it adds much interest. From the series of images I got of this particular individual this was by far the most visually appealing because of that flower (and the walking pose did help too!)

If you compare the previous images of Semipalmated Plovers that I posted you will notice they all have fresh neatly "scaled" or "scalloped" feathers on the back, they are all juvenile (or young, born this spring) birds. This one, however, has no scalloping and has a worn look to its feathers on the back...an adult.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1600s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, cropped for comp, some specular highlights removed, eye work (removed large second catchlight), the brightest of whites on the bird were toned down (burn tool).

Karl Egressy
09-30-2013, 07:19 AM
I like everything about this shot, Daniel. the pose is great, so is the low shooting angle and the flower puts it over the top.

gail bisson
09-30-2013, 07:33 AM
This is sweet.
I love the color of blue in the BG and your great low POV.
Whites are beautiful and I like the feather peeking out from the far side.
Gail

Grace Scalzo
09-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Having a variety of plumages of each species in one's files is a big bonus. Love this one...tells the story of where he is in the cycle. I might eliminate the highlights by the foot that's in the mud. Beautiful color combo.

MohsenVahedipour
09-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Excellent IQ, light & shooting angle. I also like the raised foot, lovely colors & that OOF flower. TFS

Stu Bowie
09-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Dan, your low angle captures really turn out well, and this is no exception. I like the angled pose, raised foot, and the overall light is nice and soft. The feather detail stands out nicely, sharp, and I like both the flower and the smaller blades of grass in front. Well captured.

Marina Scarr
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Killer low angle, colors and details. The added environment and that stray feather are big in elevating this image.

christopher galeski
10-01-2013, 12:48 AM
very nice,good light,love the raised foot,sharp with nice details.

David Salem
10-01-2013, 03:19 AM
Been loving the whole series and this one is very nice. Great detail and exposure control and I like the flower and the green in the BG. I too like the stray feather. Another keeper. Well done Daniel.

Markus Jais
10-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Stunning shot. The blue in the background is amazing. I also like the raised leg.

Markus

Jonathan Ashton
10-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Absolute cracker Dan - love it. For some reason though I keep looking at the right leg - there seems to be a soft look about it?? WDYT?

Daniel Cadieux
10-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks all! Jon, yes that leg is a little soft...likely due to the lifting motion not fully frozen.

mohammad reza shahab
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
hi Dan,
Excellent light,BG & shooting angle.
nice colors.