PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Falls

dankearl
09-30-2013, 02:17 AM
I don't think I have ever posted in this forum, although I view it many times.
A very creative lot here....
I don't know if this even fits here.
My first blend in Photoshop, which I am just learning to use. A bit personal, I used my Grand daughter in a collage with a waterfall photo I took, just for fun.
You can let me know what you think, if this is not OOTB material, just delete it. If you all think it is crappy, let me know, this is a discipline I know nothing about
except just viewing your fine photos. It is a composite of two photos.

DSC_6909psbp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132994&stc=1&d=1380525295)

Jackie Schuknecht
09-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Nice toning. I am not sure what link you are making between your grand daughter and nature. Maybe that she is an outdoor girl. If so I might blend the trees more into her hair and maybe liquefy her hand into the falls. Just some random thoughts.

dankearl
09-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Jackie.
No real connection , just a fun exercise for me, I should have known better than to post it in a discipline I know nothing about.
Appreciate your honesty.

Cheryl Slechta
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi, Dan, welcome to OOTB! I think it's a very creative image. The toning looks really good and I think her wavy hair fits perfectly with the leaves around her. I did a few quick changes which I think make it a stronger image (but the beauty of OOTB is that it is truly your vision and you should honor your own instincts). I removed a branch that looked like it was sprouting out of her head and I cropped it to leave in the diagonal lines of the rocks and eliminate the bright water at the bottom. (Actually after posting I think I would have left a little more at the bottom). I hope you post more images. We've got a great group here who learn from each other.:S3:

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Dan,

Greetings. Welcome to OOTB. A fine first post... matching tonality & blend work, looks like masking and selective opacity in play. Good PS skills to develop for all kinds of images. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Christopher Miller
09-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Welcome to OOTB, Dan! Very nice composite and toning. I like how your granddaughter's hair blends with the leaves. I agree with Cheryl on cropping a little from the bottom, though not as much as in her repost. Hope you post more photos here. :S3:

Nancy Bell
10-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Another welcome to OOTB! Everything goes here and we love to view individual creativity! I agree the toning is lovely and the composite well blended. The brights of the waterfalls distract some from your granddaughters happy face. I do agree that the play between her hair and the vegetation is great. Keep on experimenting and posting here!

Diane Miller
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I think this is very well done, especially for a first foray into this sort of thing. I like the original crop but would burn down the brightest water at the bottom.

As said, the hair blends very well with the leaves. You might think about increasing the contrast on the face so it competes with the waterfall -- easily done with a soft-edged mask and a Curve.

Is there a double shoulder on the left? Something odd above her right shoulder.

I don't think you need an obvious connection between a subject and a setting in an image like this, except that the placement works, which it does here.